Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
New windows in double brick reno project

Ok to the point. Fully gutted reno job, tar paper against brick on the inside to help with moister control (between brick and bat insulation). Yes or No ?? Second? New windows bein...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 4, 2012
I posted a project and got no replies

Why did I get no replies to my project?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post May 9, 2012
Soundproofing between floors of a duplex

My tenants are constantly complaining of sound travel from upstairs to downstairs and vice versa. What is the best way to soundproof a duplex/triplex which was built before 1950 in montreal? I don&#...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 1, 2012
Finishing the basement

My basement is totally unfinished. The contractor glued 2" white sterofoam from the ceiling 4' down. How do I insulate the concrete walls? Do I remove this sterofoam and put up studs and insulate wi...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 1, 2012
Quotes

When we receive a quote from the contractor, what percentage should be spend on materials and what percent for labourer?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 1, 2012
What type of foundation should I be using for new lakefront cottage ?

Having a RTM home being built and need to place on a foundation. There will be no basement but a crawlspace. We are thinking of going down 12 to 18" to undisturbed soil and building concrete foundation 24 ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 29, 2012
What do I do?

A friend has hired a contractor to do some renovations in her home. She has had problems with this contractor. She has no home address for him only a cell phone. Her kitchen has been incomplete and virtual...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 26, 2012
Complain

How can I complain or write a review about the con man who ripped us recently by taking our money and not finishing our basement and leaving us in a mess? We need help....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 23, 2012
Windows

Is window installation an easy DIY project? We have three picture windows in our living room at the front of the house. I was not sure how to properly measure the windows so I measure the inside frames. The...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 20, 2012
Cold Air Return Relocation

To allow for opening in a wall, it is possible to move one 2nd floor cold air return to another existing main floor cold air return? Currently the 2 cold air returns sit beside each other in 2 sepa...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 18, 2012
Cold Air Return Relocation

I am thinking of opening up a wall, however, there is a cold air return running from 2nd floor to the basement through this wall. Is it possible to move the cold air return one stud over - use a 'ju...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 18, 2012
Drywall

I was wondering what are contractors' opinions on Envirowall for basement? Michael ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 16, 2012
I want to remove a window and put in patio doors, any recommendation on contractor?

I want to remove an existing window and install a patio door in its place. I want to keep it the same width so as to use the existing header and brick opening. I need someone to remove the window, saw do...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 16, 2012
Building Permits in Hamilton

Do I need a Building Permit to replace siding?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 16, 2012
Remove carpet and polish floors

Hi, My house is a backsplit, have carpet in living room, stairs, tv room and hallway, under the carpet is wood floors. I would like to know if you can give me a price and how long w...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 13, 2012
Refinishing Hardwood Floors

I have recently sanded my Strip Hardwood Floors and cleaned it and then stained it. On staining I found that there are certain areas that have a sticky or glossy (it just appears it is wet when it is dry...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 14, 2012
Attic insulation

My home was built in the 1950's and I am planning on adding insulation to my attic. The previous owner had already added a layer of R20 and I am going to add another layer to bring it up to R40. On ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 22, 2012
Hardwood floor staining

A while back I asked a question about sanding down a hardwwod floor and applying urethane. Fortunately, I didn't "get around to it" and now Da Boss wants a dark stain. I made sure that the f...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 11, 2012
Garden shed permit

I live in Brampton and I am looking put in a garden shed in my back yard. The building would be a stand alone, no hydro, on cement footing. I am quite handy and can do the job myself but wonderin...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 11, 2012
Hardwood Floor - What types ???

Hi, I have parquet floor right now in family & living rooms. I am thinking of replacing this with hardwood - not laminate. My question is what should i look for when deciding on the hardwood? Can...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 12, 2012
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x