Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Addition to the top floor of a house only?

I am looking to extend about 7-10ft on the back of my home. This would increase the square footage of my 2 bedrooms and kitchen. What I really don't need is to extend the lower half of the home. I'm won...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post January 15, 2018
Best option for basement subfloor

What is the best option for a basement subfloor? Cost and effective...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post January 22, 2018
Is scutan a vapour barrier

I am looking at adding insulation to my homes exterior walls from the outside, I know there is scutan on the walls between the studs and the plaster, my question is will this be a good enough vapour b...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 14, 2018
Best Hvac system for an open concept double storey home

Hello, What is the best Hvac system and design for an open concept double storey 3500 sq ft home ? Also to get the least amount of bulkheads . Thanks ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post January 18, 2018
Will I hear my neighbours in a townhouse like this?

I’m worried I’ll hear noise from the unit beside the one we’re considering. I’ve been told no because of the exterior firewall, but it doesn’t look that thick. What do u guys think? ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 16, 2018
Does a contractor have to allow the customer to see the invoices from the dumpster company?

Does a contractor have to allow the customer to see the invoices from the dumpster supply company. It is clearly written on the contract that the builder is not responsible for any of the dumpster fees and all ...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post January 21, 2018
Cost of architectural design?

Looking for the approx. cost of an architectural design of a 2500 sqft home, 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom. Also the cost of the permits from the city (Toronto)? Any other costs we should be aware ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 14, 2018
Cost to relocate front door? Pic included.

How much would it be to move the front entry to the left of the large front window? The house is a side split level, the current front door is two steps lower than where I would like the entry up by ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post January 13, 2018
Price for Spray Foam Insulation

Wondering cost for spray foam insulation in basement cold room (under a bedroom). 2x4 walls in place. Area 10x10. Including ceiling. Location Severn Bridge. ...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post January 15, 2018
How long will it take to get a permit for a major reno from the City of Toronto?

We are planning on renovating our house this summer and were wondering how long it would take to acquire a permit from the city. We are planning a second story addition and a house expansion on two sides of the...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 13, 2018
Can a second floor addition be done for $200/sq ft? Obviously finishings dependant...

Looking for a high-level estimate of what we can reasonably expect to pay per sq foot for a second floor addition on our 1000 sq ft bungalow. ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 12, 2018
New crawl space - insulate walls, or ceiling, or both to meet code?

We are near the end of a reno that didn't go very well. We had to end our relationship with both the contractor and the architect due to too many mistakes (and the contractor charging us for his mistake...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post January 22, 2018
Can you get rid of return air vent in a wall?

I have a non loading bearing wall I want to remove I took out the drywall and I found a return air vent from the basement to second floor in a townhouse. There is not ducting in the wall just a return access...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post January 12, 2018
Reviews on Dansk Engineered Hardwood

Anyone installed DANSK Jamaica engineered hardwood? Having trouble finding any reviews. Thanks!...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 11, 2018
What is the starting wage for a Red Seal Carpenter working for a non-union company in the Niagara Region?

I started my apprenticeship in 2013 and have experience in Commercial and Residential Construction. I recently wrote and passed my C of Q and am looking to see what my wage should be getting adjusted to working...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 11, 2018
Ice / frost behind basement insulation

My house was built in 2011 and my basement is unfinished. Recently with the freeze / thaw we’ve had in Ottawa I noticed that there are a few spots on my basement floor behind the studs that have some moist...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post January 12, 2018
Cost to install steel beam

What is the cost to remove load bearing walls on the main floor and installing a 16' steel beam with two columns?...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post January 10, 2018
Cost to demolish a house

Hi Sir, I am a student of UBC real estate division. I am working towards the real estate appraiser course. For that, We need to complete one demo project course. I am looking the demolish cost for t...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 10, 2018
Is a licensed plumber required for plumbing permits?

Does the city of Mississauga require licensed plumbers to complete rough ins when taking permits out in Mississauga?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 13, 2018
Door and window casings

What is the average cost to remove and replace window and door casings in the greater toronto area?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 10, 2018
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x