Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
How many coats of paint are used for interior spray?

Hi, I have a question about interior spray painting. How many coats of paint do most companies do? We are using behr paint on new drywall. 1 coat primer right and is it 1 coat paint or 2? Th...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post January 28, 2018
We Need HELP! Is this happening because of mold???

We have a family of 5, myself, my fiance, and our 3 kids (1,2 &6). Since Early November, we have all been sick as dogs. we have had cold after cold with no rest between. we have had ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post January 24, 2018
Cost to refinish a hardwood floor of Approx 500 sft in Ajax, ON?

How much it may cost to refinish a hardwood floor of Approx 500 sft in Ajax, ON? For Living and dining on ground floor, staris to upper floor and three bedrooms and the hallway. It's natural col...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post January 22, 2018
How much would something like this cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post January 22, 2018
Insulation exposure

Hello. I had a leak in one of my upstairs bathroom. Called the insurance company, they sent out water restoration company. They tore out sink, tub, floor and toilet. This was 2 weeks before Than...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post January 22, 2018
LED Recessed Lighting (Ontario)

I am planning a kitchen reno which includes replacing 2 existing ceiling lighting fixtures with ten 9W-equivalent LED recessed lighting fixtures. Rule 12-4000 requires no more than 12 fixtures on a branch circ...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post September 6, 2021
Non load bearing?

I have a wall between kitchen and dining room that runs parallel to attic joists, and the joists skip over it. It is a one story ranch home but it looks like it has been built like a load bearing wall (...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 22, 2018
Kitchen splits

What exactly does that mean "change kitchen outlets back to splits" ? thanks...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 23, 2018
Wiring concerns

I live in a 6 apt building and breakers are blowing every week because landlord has circuits mingled between apts my living room is also upstairs apt kitchen, my hallway and bedroom are connectted to kitche...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 19, 2018
Cost to replace bathroom exhaust fan

I'm looking to replace 3 bathroom exhaust fans. What would the labour cost be?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 19, 2018
Roof Framing Labour Only

Looking to get a price range per sq.ft for framing a simple addition gable roof 6/12 one storey on existing framed building?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post January 18, 2018
Sub Contractor rates for framing an addition per sq foot?

Hi, What would other contractors charge per sq foot for wood framing 90sq' sub floor and two walls total 190 sq ft? Looking for the price labor only per sq foot tying in to existing addition/...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 18, 2018
French door installation cost

Approx how much would it be to install French doors where currently there is only a window? House is bungalow style with brick exterior....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 16, 2018
Breaker panel upgrade

How much approx to upgrade a fusebox to breaker panel? And move the kitchen stove plug from one side of the kitchen to another? (Basement is unfinished so access is available)...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 19, 2018
Is there a forum for contractors to report/vent/inquire about problems with clientele?

Does anyone know of an online forum in which contractors/handyman etc can go to let others in the industry know of their dealings with a specific client? Or better yet, is there an online forum in ...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post January 19, 2018
Raise roof of cottage or addition?

Hi there - I'm just buying a cottage, exterior measurements about 16 x 42 -- straight rectangle. The ceilings are only 7 feet high. Roof is framed, and again quite low grade. I'd reall...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 13, 2024
Electrical box in a cold air return

I have a wall where i want it to put a 3 gang box for switches and in this only section i wanna put is a cold air return. can you put the box with romex wire or does it has to be a different way or no way...loo...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post January 16, 2018
Exterior wall is bowing

Recently bought a house and only just noticed that the back wall, which is part of the extension, is bowing outward quite a bit. Once you know it's there it is obvious to the naked eye. The extensio...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post January 16, 2018
Winter outdoor work

Hi, i would like to ask in regards to grading land in the negative frozen temperatures, how to go about grading the soil slopes and the gravel etc during negative 15-20 temperatures. please advise...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 16, 2018
Cost to install cloth roll towel systems in a school

For a school project we need to figure out how much it would cost contractors to come to our school and install eight cloth roll towel systems in our school bathrooms. We already know the price of the cloth rol...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post January 15, 2018
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x