Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
How much time is needed to mud tape and sand a 320 sq ft room to bring it to paint grade?

Area is boarded just want a time needed idea when looking at quotes. Thank you! ...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post December 28, 2017
Wood Stove Replacement

How much would it cost to replace my old wood stove with a new wood stove if I purchased the stove myself from a store? Including cost to remove old stove from the property. This is in the Ottawa area....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post December 18, 2017
Stucco or stone which is more expensive?

We are planning to build a 2400 sq ft bungalow. We are thinking of using stone or stucco, which is more expensive. Is there any advantage to either one? This will be in the Ottawa area. ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post December 18, 2017
Natural light requirement for office/guest room

Good morning! I have a question about natural light requirements for a basement office/guest room in Ottawa Ontario. First of all l have a walkout basement (egress), HVAC (mechanic...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post December 15, 2017
Blockage in flush

Our flush is blocked due to lower portion of cleaning brush of flush is broken and stuck in flush. Please tell me the reasonable cost for cleaning. Thanks...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post December 15, 2017
How much to pay a laborer in London Ontario to power sand ceilings walls?

How much should I pay a laborer to come in and sand ceilings and walls after drywallers installed the boards? Hourly amount? Or by the square footage?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post December 16, 2017
Black mold during a flooring reno

If I'm on a flooring job where black mold is uncovered. Am I now responsible/liable for fixing it? If the home owner/client is unreachable and I cannot get a response can I walk away with black ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post December 14, 2017
Bought 2 year old house infested with mold. The home warranty and insurance says nothing is covered. What should I do?

I bought a house that was listed as built in 2015, as soon as I looked in the attic, I noticed mold. I called my insurance company and they sent someone out to look at it. They said there was no problem...

Cost to tile bathtub area

How much would I expect to pay for having the walls tiled around my bathtub. Using a 9x18 tile and the walls are prepped for the tiling already. Just need an idea for tile and grout install....

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post December 18, 2017
Construction lien

Any recommendation for legal service that are good and reasonable in filing construction lien?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post December 13, 2017
Red wire and black wire

Hi, I'm a student in electrical in college, I am drawing different circuits and was wondering if it's against code to connect a red wire to a black wire? I can't seem to get a straight a...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post December 14, 2017
Underfloor Humidity Control

How can the humidity level be controlled under an entrance room? The entrance to our triple brick farmhouse is a 12 x 11 foot, studwall construction, room built on a rough concrete foundation wall&...

Contractor nightmare

We hired a contractor "friend of the family" to assist with finishing our legal suite, 2 bedrooms. We have paid out $34,000 to having a dispute as to how the job was going etc. He said he wo...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post December 14, 2017
Our 110v dryer is not heating up

Our 110v Dryer is not heating up at all. we checked the vent already for build up and there is none. Any suggestions?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post December 11, 2017
Glass Block Basement Window Interior Finishing

We recently had glass block windows installed in our basement wall (concrete block). The top and bottom of the windows does not leave much room for traditional wood framing without "cutting off"...

Inheriting and renovating my first house

I recently inherited a older home which we have decided to rennovate, on the basis we can get a mortgage on it. We have good credit and it will be our first home. It does not have an outstanding mortgage on...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post December 27, 2017
Suing general contractor who did not pay trades

I hired a general contractor for a building renovation, he did not finish the job, he got about 90 percent of the cost to finish but the job is only 50 percent done . He abandon the job and did not pay...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post December 10, 2017
Home renovation disaster in Oakville, Ontario

I hired contractor from "kijiji" and he collected all project money from me but he didn't finish the job. Its been 3 months since he started work. He has collected $28,840 from but he has ...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post January 8, 2018
Cost for small bathroom reno

Looking for avenge cost of labour on a small bathroom. Old three peace with tile shower walls and tub out. New tub and shower insert New vanity with sink top counter top New plumbing for vanity and show...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post December 12, 2017
Looking for approx cost of building a house

Hi, I am looking for an approximate price (Ball range) for building a new house, probably duplex in Calgary AB. Around 1600 sq ft each duplex. ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post December 26, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x