Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Looking for a rough price on outdoor electrical work

Looking for a rough price on outdoor electrical. Want electrical outoor outlets for the front of the house with proper exterior covering. Ideal usage for outlets are mowing the lawn, Christmas lights. The f...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post December 10, 2017
Stone or stucco, which is more expensive?

We are building a new 2400 sqft bungalow in the Ottawa area. Initially, We were planning to use stucco all around. However, I am now thinking I would like to have stone, at least in the front wi...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post December 14, 2017
Looking for a rough price on electrical work

Looking to get some electrical work done in a small basement. Would be looking at 8-9 outlets, 3 ceiling light rough-ins and wiring for 2 new 15 amp breakers. Basement is not finished (so no drywall&...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post December 10, 2017
Lien by a contractor

I am a contractor in Ontario, have very good repute in the town I work. I am trying to keep my story brief so please excuse my writing skills, and please guide me in this regard. I took a Basement re...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post December 6, 2017
Real Hardwood vs. LVP

I'm building a new home and my builder originally priced us out for real hardwood floors. After some research I decided that luxury vinyl plank flooring would be better since we have animals. My builder is ...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post January 11, 2018
Cost for house rewire

I'm from Edmonton, I would like to know roughly how much to rewire a 1900 sq foot, 2 story home that has aluminum. The basement is wired with copper and the panel needs to be upgraded. No room for m...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post December 5, 2017
Electrician rate to install a light switch and wall plug

I'm wanting to finish the interior of a house (new build w/stud walls in, wiring has been run, and wiring brought to each light switch and wall plug 'box'. What will be the general c...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post December 5, 2017
Problem with the contractor

So we recently purchased a house and added funds for the renov/upgrade. We agreed on a quotation provided by the contractor only to find out that they cannot do it right away and will need to wait for 2mos....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post December 14, 2017
Cold room in basement to laundry room

Hi, I have a question about cold rooms in basement. We have one and am thinking about removing it and turning it into a laundry room. I read a lot of things online about mold and insulating properl...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post December 3, 2017
Best price for baseboards in Southern Ontario

Live in Kitchener, don't mind driving couple hours to get a really good deal on baseboards and trim. Need whole house. Where is the best place to go?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post December 1, 2017
Do I have to pay the final balance for poor quality work?

Hello, I need your opinions and seeking advice. We hired a company to build us a customized framed kitchen costing us $30k. We signed the contract in June 2017 and deposited $14k. As per contr...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post January 9, 2018
Garage floor water drainage

I have a 4 year old house with an attached garage. The garage floor has the correct slope (higher in rear of garage slopping towards the front of garage). I live in Edmonton so the snow melt in the ga...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post December 14, 2017
Cost for asbestos removal

Hello, We live in Edmonton Alberta and we are considering an older house that was built in the 50's. It has never been upgraded, ie has the original asbestos tiles, duck tape, pipe cover...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 29, 2017
Is it a Poor Stucco installation or is this normal?

Hi there, building a new home, have not moved in yet. Id say 80% of the home is stucco. Under certain lighting conditions, the stucco looks horrible. I just turned on the exterior pot lights and...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post September 23, 2019
Pier foundation help!! Building a cabin finally

Hi, This spring I have decided to build a cabin on a pier foundation using sono tubes or similar. The cabin will be 24' X 34'. I'm wondering the spacing a layout of the tubes/piers. How ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 28, 2017
Do we still have to pay for insulation 3 months later?

We had a spray foam insulation company insulate our basement in july. There was nothing more than a verbal quote given. No contract, and no invoice given to us. We offered to pay the workers when they were ...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post December 5, 2017
Proper condensate drain location

Is it wise/proper to tap into the drain for a kitchen sink to drain the condensate from a furnace? I ask because it seems like it is common for a kitchen sink drain to become plugged. This would cause t...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 28, 2017
Can I convert a walk in freezer into an office?

Can I convert a walk in freezer into an office at my existing business?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 27, 2017
Does it void the warranty to install KWP siding with screws?

Has anyone used screws to install KWP siding? and does it void the warranty?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 27, 2017
Cost to finish a basement

We are looking for help with budgeting to finish our basement (~500sq ft). It has one bedroom (~10ftx14ft), one bathroom (~4.5ftx10ft) and a living room area (~12ftx14ft),...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post November 28, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x