Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Any value in hardwood maple and birch (air dryed)?

Was wondering if there is any demand for cabinets, or furniture....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 3, 2017
What is the cost to build a 2 story house?

I have a plot of land in Barrie and want to know how much would a 2 floor house building cost with around 2000 square foot area?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 23, 2017
Addition in the existing house

I have to make an addition in my existing 2 storey house. The Addition shall be on the back of my house consisting of 800 sq ft on main floor and 800 sq ft on the second floor. What would be cost of addition...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 23, 2017
Cost for vinyl siding

What will it cost to do the siding on 6'x11'wall including material and labour in Gatineau, QC? ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 23, 2017
Wood ceiling

What kind of contractor should I find to put up a pine wood ceiling in a 700 square foot condo? Alyse...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post November 1, 2017
How to move electrical boxes to the other side of the room?

How to move electrical boxes to the other side of the room?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post July 24, 2017
What do I charge to set up a swing stage and do a day of work on the six story exterior vent?

I'm a contractor. What do I charge to set up a swing stage and do a day of work on the six story exterior vent?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 20, 2017
Cost of installation of dishwasher in Winnipeg, where there was no dishwasher before?

Need electrical and plumping for a dishwasher located next to sink. 3 spare spaces on new electrical panel. Basement ceiling is unfinished. What is estimated cost?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 20, 2017
Finish partial basement

I need an estimate to build an 11'x11' bedroom with existing window to be enlarged for egress about 30"x22" With electrical and laminate flooring and drywall. Also a 3 piece washroom with 36...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post July 19, 2017
Anybody use Jr-3 Relax a Mist Steam generator?

Just wondering if anyone has used these and if they are a decent product....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 18, 2017
Pole barn post repair

We have a 40x60 pole barn with some rotten posts. Should we dig down and sister them up on both sides and encapsulate with sealer and concrete in a sono tube or just fill in the holes? Or dig down cuttin...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 3, 2017
Main electrical panel placement - Newfoundland

Hi; I have a question pertaining to the placement of the main electrical panel in a new home build and the restrictions in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. Can the panel be placed in a laundry roo...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 24, 2017
Styrofoam roof repair

My styrofoam roof is leaking after being reinstalled in 2005. First installation was 1990. Should I change the entire roof? We live in a high heat area....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 18, 2017
Interior loadbearing wall stud size

I am renovating our basement and one room had 2x3 framing on the outer non load bearing walls. We need to redo those studs the same size and I wondered if the Ontario Building Code would allow that. If not we...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 20, 2017
Options to extend concrete slab deck

My home currently has a 5' x 20' concrete slab patio. The size makes it difficult to comfortably place furniture. I would like to extend the space by 7' making the useable patio space 12' x 20...

What is cost per linear foot to frame a basement 9' ceiling?

What is cost per lineal foot to frame a basement with 2x4 wood studs on 9' ceiling?...

Replacement of a toilet's water supply line

Is this mandatory when renovating a bathroom? Does it require someone licensed to do it? If so, where do I find out if a contractor has a particular license to do this work? Where can I r...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post July 19, 2017
Fence type

I know my question has many vague elements to it, but please try to answer it anyway. My wife and I need our old wood privacy fence removed and a new one installed. We are debating what to do. Which fen...

Number of Responses 17 Date of Last Post July 25, 2017
Cost for metal pool fence install

Hi, What's the cost per sq ft to install about 100ft of metal fence around a pool on a cement deck? I already have the fence /posts and brackets. Just looking for a ballpark cost. Thanks...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 16, 2017
Cost for drywall installation

hHw much does it cost to install drywall?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 13, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x