Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
How much would it be to install an island extractor hood?

We're considering a townhome that has the hob on the island and has a downdraft extractor. We'd want to replace it with an overhead extractor but am trying to find out how much it would be to do so. The...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 13, 2017
Grading issue leading to water filled window wells

Hi, In my backyard there is pooling of water and the grading is sloped so that the water is coming towards the house. During a rain storm the water is literally pouring into the window well leading to fl...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 13, 2017
How to calculate cost of the above window painted trim

What does it cost to paint moulding around window as well bare pine return on new window 24inch by48 inch. Thanks...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 11, 2017
How much is it to frame out a basement about 1000 sqf?

How much is it to frame out a basement about 1000 sqf?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 10, 2017
help with a bad contracto

We hired a contractor from your website and he is not completing the work. We do not know what to do in order to get this person to finish the work he started a month ago. According to your website, h...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post August 14, 2017
Stamped concrete vs exposed aggregate

What would be the approximate cost difference per square foot for a stamped concrete driveway vs. an exposed aggregate driveway? The driveway is approx 1100 sq ft....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post August 8, 2017
Drywall costs

Hello, I am looking for a rough estimate on dry walling costs on a new build. 16 inch centers. It is a 1550 sq foot bungalow with 3 bedrooms one with a walk in closet. 2 bathrooms open concept kitchen&...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post August 15, 2017
Cost of an addition in Toronto

Just wondering what the cost of an addition, 10 by 15 would be - one story vs 2 story?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 11, 2017
Cost to gut a house in Toronto

I currently have a home in the High Park area - 2 story with each story being about 600 sq feet. What would be the cost to gut, new drywall, redo wiring, installation. Very high level estimate. ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 10, 2017
is it possible to replace outdoor window sills?

Some of my window sills have rotted due to age. I do not want to spend the money to replace the windows which are in good condition with no leakage. Any suggestions?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 7, 2017
Hardie siding

Currently residing our house using James Hardie siding (cedarmill plank) and using LP smart trim for corners and window trim. Following Alberta code for window drip cap but wanted to ask advice for trim...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 7, 2017
Water in basement

Hello, Looking for some advice on some issues I am having with this old house. First issue should be solved soon. Which is the eviction of the tenants that occupy the main floor and basement. They are ou...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 8, 2017
Underpinning/Permits

My Neighbour is underpinning his basement. I live in a semi detached and our properties are connected by a wall. He had asked for my written permission in April. I gave him the permission to do the work. He...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post August 4, 2017
Thoughts on this wood fascia installation

I had a roofer replace my old roof and he did a good job. But he also replaced much of the fascia on my house and a few people have commented about how bad it looks. I'm curious if a professional could advi...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 4, 2017
Aluminum privacy fence or cedar fence

We have a total of 228 linear sq ft of fencing. How much would it be to do aluminum and how much would it be to do cedar fencing? Please incl labor and materials. Would also like to get a quote on a ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 8, 2017
Water marks in garage after heavy rain

Hello experts. After a heavy rain I noticed water marks on the garage wall coming between the concrete and the masonry. Also there is some water dripping from the garage ceiling. Builder says it's normal. ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post November 1, 2017
Pre-purchase inspection of a home that looks to have had additions done but no permits filed with Municipality

We are looking at a property for sale where there definitely looks to have been additions done in the past but upon calling the municipality there have been no permits filed for this property. We would want to...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 4, 2017
Cost per square foot for aluminum privacy fence and wood privacy fence in Coquitlam, BC

What is the cost per square foot for aluminum privacy fence? What is the cost per square foot for wood privacy fence? Please include labor and a complete cost of materials needed ie posts not just...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post August 3, 2017
Cheaper to Reno or build?

I just bought a 850 sq ft raised bungalow. I need to rent it for a couple years before I either bulldoze and build new or add on to it. Just trying to decide which is cheaper. I need to replace a few windows&#...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 13, 2017
How much would something like this cost?

I found this picture and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be. To have this type of bench alongside of my pool?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post August 2, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x