Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Cistern jet pump won't stop running

Why won't cistern jet pump not stop running?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 8, 2017
Cost to repair toilet and surrounding floor (rotted wood)?

Hello, I was just quoted $1775 for a job to repair toilet leak and rotted wood around toilet base. This includes cutting out of old/wet/rotted wood and adding additional 2x4 braces to help f...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post July 7, 2017
Expert on fire issues

My house is not air-conditioned. In the summer, I have to close the windows in the event of rain, there will be no one at home during working hours I have a dog and I do not want him to feel warm ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 10, 2017
What's on the walls?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what is on the walls? Is is wallpaper, slate, or something else?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 14, 2017
Wooden garage door that leads to the inside of the house

Wooden garage door that leads to the inside of the house does not automatically close (to the fullest) when it is released. It would leave a gap of 1/2" and it does not click to confirm that th...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 6, 2017
Erection of fence

Do I have to erect the fence post bellow frost line? If so how deep is a frost line in Mississauga?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post July 5, 2017
Blocked kitchen sinks and bathroom sinks

What are the most effective ways to clear a blocked kitchen sink? I have used a plastic rod (made specially for this purpose) with its numerous "sharp edges/wing type ends" along the who...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 5, 2017
Blocked toilets

Which are the most effective ways to clear a blocked toilet due to the natural (bulk) discharges from the body? 100% for sure: there is nothing wrong with the toilet. Except to call a plumb...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 7, 2017
Possible paths to becoming a GC?

Hi, I want to buy and develop land.. build homes. I want to run the project from obtaining financing, blueprints, zoning, permits, materials to organizing sub-contractors etc. Would I ha...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 4, 2017
Cost to build a mortar bed

Hello how much would it cost to build a mortar bed for a stand up shower approximately 3.5'x6'? Not installing doors on the step just going to have a shower rod and also if you can help with esti...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 4, 2017
Is expansion joint important between the concrete sidewalk and the foundation wall?

I need your opinion - is the expansion joint important between the sidewalk and the house wall (foundation wall)? What if there isn't? Are there any codes or bylaws in Brampton about it?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 3, 2017
Exterior painting costs

What is the average cost per square foot for exterior painting in Calgary?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 3, 2017
Broken Tile

We had our basement renovated recently. While the tenants were moving in one of the tiles broke. We had the broken tile removed and will eventually have the tile replaced but my question is about how the tile w...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post July 3, 2017
Deck question

I have an existing deck. The top needs to be replaced, but everything underneath is still good. Do I have to replace it all or can I just put a new top on it?...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post July 3, 2017
Poly under subfloor

I am building a mudroom addition off my home and it is sitting on concrete peirs it is about 1 1/2 feet above grade and will be skirted in with vents. My question is should I put poly over the joist befo...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 2, 2017
Architect, architectural technologist, or designer?

Plan on building a new modern 2 story approx 3700 sq ft. what should I expect to pay? How much is the structural fee and mechanical fee individually? and should I use a architect, architectural tec...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 23, 2020
Floor tile

I like the shiny porcelain tile that looks like marble for my floors, will that stay in style? And is marble as slippery?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post July 3, 2017
Construction layout requirements

What license or requirements are needed to perform the layout of new construction projects in British Columbia? ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post July 1, 2017
How much for installing baseboard, crown moulding? (labour only)

I am an interior fishing carpenter. I just moved to Vancouver BC. I am wondering how much do most experts in BC charge per ft for installing baseboard, casing, crown molding on labour only....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post June 29, 2017
Cost for basement finish

What is the cost to finish a basement? 1300 sq ft washroom 3 piece 10 foot ceiling sound insulation with metal channels finish cold room and insulate it bedroom with massive walk in closet kitc...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post July 3, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x