Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Cost of moving an exterior door

Hi there, What would it cost to close off an existing exterior kitchen door, and have a nearby window turned into the doorway instead? The heights of the existing doorway and window are the same...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 20, 2016
How much should I be paying for a 15' x 20' composite deck?

I've been calling around for pricing and I'm getting numbers anywhere from $20/sqft to $45/sqft... any idea on why such a large variation in pricing between contractors? When I we...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post August 1, 2018
Oil spray versus bib box aslphalt re-sealer

What are the pros and cons for the "oil spray" treatment that trade people will offer at $80 per 1 1/2 car asphalt driveway? Which is a better product to blacken a 9 year old asphalt driv...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 18, 2016
Bedroom addition above the garage.

Hello, I hired a contractor for a big reno on my house. Part of the reno is building a bedroom above a pre-existing garage. There is wood frame on the brick/concrete wall of the garage. My dad s...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post May 19, 2016
Canceling the contract

I contracted out a renovation project but decided not to move forward so I had to cancel the project 8 weeks before it starts. The contractor is threatening me to go to court. I'm wondering is the claim ...

Number of Responses 13 Date of Last Post January 3, 2017
Mold in basement

My house was built in 2010. And I start getting mold in basement back wall, all of it and it kept getting more and more. Finally I tear drywall. Concrete wall was damp so I dig backyard, all the way to ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 19, 2016
How much for asphalt driveway?

I am looking to tear up my old driveway and start fresh for three cars. Maybe 36X20? Looking for cost. ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 16, 2016
Cost to run plumbing and Electrical for basement kitchen

My wife and I are wanting to add a kitchen to our basement to make it a legal suite. We have the cabinets and appliances and I am able to do the labour of installing them as well. What I can't do myself is ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 16, 2016
Do I need special sealer for ceiling?

I have popcorn ceiling and would like to paint but was told I need a special sealer first. I need advice on what I need to do to cover 1500sq ft of popcorn ceiling. Options? If it's better to remove it&...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post July 23, 2019
What is a reasonable quote for bathroom renovation?

I've purchased porcelain tile 12 x24 for 56sq ft of flooring and the 5ft tub enclosure. New tub 5ft I bought and 60 inch vanity one sink which I also bought. No plumbing changes, nor electrical. Current...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 16, 2016
Is pig-tailing aluminum wiring required for light fixtures?

I have aluminum wiring in my home and a contractor suggested pig-tailing the outlets. Is it also necessary to do the same with the light fixtures?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post May 16, 2016
Laminate flooring on top of existing flooring

Hi, I have a condominium and parquet floor in good condition but I want laminate flooring. Do you think it's a good idea to do laminate flooring on top of existing flooring? Also would 12mm or ...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post May 15, 2016
Basement finishing quote

Quotes requested for finishing a basement which is a total size of 1500 sq ft & turning it into 2 apartments. Each apartment will have: - 1 bedroom each - a separate kitchen, - a separate li...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post May 15, 2016
EIFS - synthetic stucco

When I get a quote of $10-$11 per sq ft for installation of stucco does that include: weather barrier, styrofoam insulation, base coat and finish coat?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post June 7, 2016
Quote for install of laminate/engineered hardwood in Vancouver

What can I expect to pay for 1,900 sq. ft. installation of laminate or engineered hardwood in Greater Van? There are 5 bedrooms and a landing involved....

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post May 14, 2016
Time/effort spent on information gathering

Can a contractor ask for a percentage of the quote if you decide to go elsewhere, based on his time spent with his subcontractors and on emails in acquiring information that has been asked by the customer&#...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post May 23, 2016
Ballpark to build a second floor on a 50s bungalow

Approx. 1000 square feet with open living room/dining room/kitchen. 2 bedrooms and a deck. In Victoria. Realize need structural engineer. I am looking to buy a house - market is crazy! So is the...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 13, 2016
Cost for summer fence project

I have about 100-120ft of fence to do. What would the cost be to have installed (6ft high)?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post May 13, 2016
Finance or lease a truck?

Hello everyone, I am a sole proprietor drywall taper and I am looking to buy a truck. I am looking for tips/advice regarding financing or leasing. Insurance and tax advantages etc. Any advice is...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 12, 2016
Installing subflooring and laminate tile to basement floor

Hello, I want to embark on a DIY for my basement floor because I've run out of cash. I hired a contractor who did the majority of the reno already. What's a reasonable price range for subflo...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 10, 2016
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x