Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Cost to install a chainlink fence

How much will it cost to install a chainlink fence per linear feet in Calgary?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 10, 2016
Cost to wire a pool pump?

I purchased a variable speed pool pump. I have been told the existing wiring won't work. I need someone to tell me whats needed and the cost....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 11, 2016
Mould on roof

Can mould be removed from the underside of a roof or does the plywood and shingles have to be removed and re done again?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 9, 2016
Bypassing demo permit application

I have a contractor buddy who builds roughly 5 residential homes per year in Toronto and York Region. During the course of one of our conversations he had mentioned that you don't need a permit for demoliti...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 9, 2016
Cost for laying concrete over old patio section

Price for aprox. 8x10 area, preferably jewelstone overlay. Within Brantford location....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 9, 2016
Wooden fence estimate

6'x70' good neighbor style pressure treated wooden fence - was quoted $62 per foot. Is it correct or too high? The fence is to separate the backyard between two houses. From what I have heard th...

Enclosing the deck, or, building three walls and a roof

I have a deck, about 12' X 18', I like to make it mosquito proof and more comfortable. I am thinking I can put a roof on it, with three framed walls and lots of windows. The deck has a g...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 15, 2016
Cost for basic floor tile job

How much should I expect to pay for a cement board placed over existing raw pine floor and white 12 x 12 ceramic tile grouted on top? This is in bathroom which is small...31/2 foot by 8 feet approx. ...

New permit rules (Ontario Electrical Code)

I'm looking for some clarification on this: My electrical contractor tells me that permits are now required for such things as changing out a light fixture or replacing an existing switch or plug. Is ...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post June 6, 2016
Cost to remove existing pressure treated basement outside entrance

Cost to Remove existing pressure treated basement outside entrance replace it to cement blocks and frost protection and install drain and new footing?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 6, 2016
Cost to lift house to make crawl space into basement

I am looking to lift my house. It presently does not have a basement, there is a crawl space. So I am looking to see what the procedure would be and the cost involved in such an endeavour. It is a single f...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 7, 2016
Scratches caused by a 26 lb dog on natural (oak) hardwood floor

Red oak natural hardwood (honey brown colour) NOT LAMINATED I have heard of a conflicting advice as to whether I could reduce the visible scratches due to the nails of my 26 Ib dog. I need a produ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 25, 2017
What are good home roofing materials?

Please suggest to me good home roofing materials which are Eco friendly. I need a long lasting roof with low maintenance. We are having reinforced support walls. Thanks....

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post May 9, 2016
Is it considered a new home or a renovation if you tear down the home and use existing foundation?

If you tear down an existing home, but leave the existing foundation and rebuild on top of it, is it considered a new home or a renovation? We are located in Alberta, Canada. Just wondering if...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post May 9, 2016
Maximum span on 4 ply 2 x10 beam

I would like to know what the maximum spam would be allowed on a 4 ply 2 x 10 basement beam support 2 floor above. I would like to be able to replace the current jack post as it will interfere with the basement...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post May 30, 2016
Asphalt driveway

I have a single car asphalt driveway (9 1/2 years). I want to add asphalt on the left and right sides of the existing asphalt driveway. (The present left and right sides are now covered by s...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 6, 2016
Cost of the engineer stamp for drawings

Hello, I am currently working on an outdoor art installation project with a group of people. It is a temporary structure, a dome @30' DIA. I am recent graduate in Interior Design program an...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 13, 2016
Cost for drywall and taping Vancouver

Hi there, I have a house we are renovating and I would like to ask for your opinion on how much would it be aprox to drywall and tape my house. Top Floor 1/2 inch ceiling 1,600 sqf 4,...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 4, 2016
Cost to replace the current inadequate single beam of a fixer-upper in rural Ottawa

I am looking to purchase a serious fixer-upper in rural Ottawa. I will need to replace the current inadequate single beam structure of the 70+ year old home. The exterior dimensions are 25'w x 18'...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 3, 2016
Moving light fixture and repairing California ceiling

We would like to move our pendant light fixture above our dining table as we have relocated on dining space. We would like install the fixture properly above the table, and not just hook it over from the e...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 4, 2016
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x