Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Premixed mortar for 12x24" tile?

We are installing 150sq/ft of 12" x24" porcelain tile in our laundry room and front entrance and would like to use a premixed mortar, to ensure consistent consistency. Is there a product you co...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post October 24, 2016
How much to vault my ceiling?

I just bought a 1300+ sqft bungalow in Calgary and would like to know how much it would cost to vault the ceiling. Most of the ceiling drywall is taken down and all insulation has been removed. Also&#...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 3, 2016
Cost to professionally finish my basement?

I have just moved into my new home and the basement is unfinished. My basement is 553 sq ft. I would like to know what is reasonable price to get walls, ceiling, door for the furnace, water heater e...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 3, 2016
Rough estimate for a gate?

At the back of our house we have a deck and our neighbours have a shed -- these are the divisions between the properties. We'd like to have a door/fence built to have some more privacy and close...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 1, 2016
8 ft fence post requirements

When building an 8ft fence what size posts would be required and how deep should they be set?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 6, 2016
Cause of flaking ceiling

What would cause a plastered ceiling to severely crack and flake? The apartment above me recently did flooring work. Is it possible that a chemical used seep through the ceiling?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 3, 2016
How much would this deck cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post May 20, 2022
Cause of leak to sunroom roof

We had a sunroom installed 2014 in under 2yrs, from date of installation, we had a leak in the roof. Water drips through the ceiling fan - more so when we get a lot of rain. We had a poor response fro...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post April 30, 2016
Cost for attached garage and sunroom addition with covered deck

Looking for a quote to complete an attached 20x24 garage (doors, excavating and exterior cladding and electrical excluded). To quote concrete footings/foundation wall but no concrete floor, ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post April 30, 2016
Cost for new roof

Hi, What should a new roof cost on a 1500 sq ft backsplit?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 30, 2016
Cost to add an addiion to make 1.5 story house a full 2 story

We have 1.5 story home and would like to add a master bedroom, 3 piece bath and closets over the other .5 of the house - roughly 500 square feet. Looking to get a ball park cost of the new addition. Wou...

Number of Responses 23 Date of Last Post May 4, 2016
Issues with Fraser wood siding

Has anyone had issues with Fraser wood siding cupping, shrinking? Wood was prefinished in Ancient Lava by Frasers which is a dark colour and areas that receive the most sun are the worst. We had Fr...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post April 29, 2016
Anyone have a good estimating software?

I'm a contractor looking for a good estimating software. Seen this question on here before, but I missed the answer. Thanks...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 30, 2016
Cost of removing pool deck

Hi, I'm thinking about buying a house which is perfect for every aspect except that it has old pool deck which is in very poor condition. What would be the rough estimate of removing this pool deck&...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post April 28, 2016
Deck post depth in solid rock conditions

I am building a 12ft x 16ft deck in my back yard. My basement is only 44" below grade because the house is built (1994) on top of a large slab of granite in Kanata Ontario. The deck floor is 67...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 1, 2016
Floating walls in concrete basement

Hey, Me and my family are planning on framing and dry-walling the home-theater area in our basement. The house we have is fairly new (6 years) and the load bearing wall in the basement is actuall...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 28, 2016
Cost to build out a therapist clinic 60x20, 1350sqft

I am opening a therapist clinic that features fitness classes (2 rooms), registered massage (1 room) and stretching (1 room), bathrooms (2) and nutritional consulting ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post April 28, 2016
Cost to build heated garage 24 x 24

Just looking for a price or average sq ft price to build a heated garage 24 x 24 with an 8 x 16 door and man door. Is tin inside cheaper than drywalling as it takes less time? What about tin outside?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 28, 2016
Drop ceiling install

I have 1,000 sq. ft. I need a suspended tile ceiling installed - all components. How much would I be looking at paying. Thank you....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 27, 2016
Cost to install a wall tile

What is the cost to install a wall tile, per foot including grout and glue adhesive?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 27, 2016
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x