Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Exhaust fan installation

Can one contactor install both a roof top vent (or roof top exhaust vent) and the bathroom fan OR should a roofer be hired seperately to cut the hole and install the exhaust vent in the roof? ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 4, 2011
Contract

We have hired a contractor to put on an addition, we have no signed contract, things have gone bad due to poor workmanship,we stopped work on the addition, now the contractor is putting a Lien o...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post October 4, 2011
Electrical Work

I had hired All About Construction Corp to do renos on my home, they hired a Electrician with out consulting me first and just handed me a bill. I've asked for his name or even company name and have go...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post October 28, 2011
GFI needs replacing

I live in a 3 year old mobile and possibly need a GFI replaced as it shorts out every time the sump pump is plugged in. The GFI has electricity until the sump pump is plugged in and I have plugged in two out...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 1, 2011
whether to refinish or cover a degraded wood floor

I have a reclaimed hemlock floor (23' by 23') in my kitchen that started to degrade almost immediately and now it's been 5 years and it is pretty bad. It is as though the polyurethane didn&...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 21, 2011
Time and cost repair a 2400 sq ft bunglow wit basement

Time and cost repair a 2400 sq ft bunglow wit basement...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 7, 2011
What is the minimum code distance that a furnace has to be from a wall

I am looking at renovating our basement by relocating a wall. By code, what is the minimum distance I must have between the wall and the furnace. I have over 2ft space on the other side of the furnace clear...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 20, 2011
Seeking proposal for my Home Reno project

There, I have a victoria style house buit at year 1978, it is a well bulit house and everything still works fine without any concern so far. As I plan to stay in this house for at least another 20...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post October 4, 2011
framing

I have 2x2 framing in by basement. Should I remove and use 2x4 or build out from existing to get to 2x4? Gas was cheap 35 yrs ago!...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 13, 2011
sub floor transition

I am wondering how to get around a problem I am foreseeing with my basement renovation. I am going to be using the DriCore system for a subfloor, since I will be putting down laminate floor in each room ex...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 15, 2011
Front porch demolition and rebuild

We, and our neighbour, are planning to demolish a common structure front porch on a 100 year old, brick, semi-detached house, in two stages. First, we want to remove the roof and then r...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 14, 2011
Window Installation Concerns

I purchased three new windows from one of the large home improvement stores and had them arrange the install. The contractor who came out to do the work did not seem to really know what he was doing and the wor...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 14, 2011
Underpinning and drainage in basement

We have underpinned our basement and gone down 2 feet. The old main drain to the city sewer system is now above the basement floor level. How do we solve this and correctly reconnect to the main drain out?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 13, 2011
Home facelift

I want to give my old home a facelift to give it an updated look by putting stucco or stone or combination of both (whichever is less expensive) over the brick. Does anyone know how much this would cos...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 9, 2011
Patio Covers

I was heard about the Patio Covers in Aluminum. Any idea about this? Any companies ? contractors doing this? Thanks ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 7, 2011
Fireplace Air leak

Hello In my house, from fire place we get significant amount of air comes in. We generally don't use the fireplace, we never switch it on. In winter it is really bad, I had to literally close...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 7, 2011
Residential painting business

Hello All, I am hoping someone can help me out I am considering beginning a painting business and would like to know if there is any license required to begin? Also it would be nice if someone could po...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 4, 2011
Should I convert my Attic?

Hello, I recently bought a one story house (it's about 100 years old) in winnipeg. the house is about 960 sqft. I've already completely renovated the kitchen and painted the whole house. Si...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 11, 2011
Basement Reno

Do I have to create a subfloor over my cement floor. I have been in this house for 10 years with never an issue with my basement floor. My preference is to tile....

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post September 9, 2011
foam insulation

Can the electrical lines inside the framingof the basements walls, be covered by spray foam insulation, after inspection of course? ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 15, 2011
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x