Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Hardwood Flooring

Looking to replace carpet with solid hardwood in the living, family and office rooms on the main floor of a 23-year old home. Have a pet, a Jack Russell Terrier 7+ years. What would be the best ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 4, 2011
liencse

hey, I want to know where I can get a gas license, a/c license, and election license? Is there a coures for it? if yes where can I find it? plz and thx...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 11, 2011
drywall over drywall

I am planning to install 1/4" drywall over my existing drywall in my basement. In addition to using screws, should I also use an adhesive?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post September 11, 2011
Attic remodel

we want to finish the attic space in our century home we just bought. There are two attic spaces, one on the original part of the house and one on the addition built in the 70's. We want to make them on...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 13, 2011
How to separate a joint driveway

I want to separate my driveway from my neighbors she thinks she owns more than me i was thinking of getting a survey does anyone know how much this would cost plus do they mark your property line for you i want...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post August 12, 2015
Problems with just purchased home

I just purchased a home that is about 60 years old. I had a home inspection done and there were no major issues noted - just replacing shingles and roof venting, etc. It does really need updating so, wh...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post September 2, 2011
Bad drywall job

The previous owners "finished" the basement. I think they had several issues, one being they couldn't get full sheets of drywall down the stairs and two they had no clue what they were doing. ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 30, 2011
I need a quote on house repairs

I am looking for someone to come in and quote on bringing my house up to selling condition which would be feasible. Which upgrades will make a difference when selling and be feasible with a return and which wo...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post October 4, 2011
Hardwood flooring

I have an existing pine floor with boards approx. 12 inches wide and 16 feet long & approx. 3/4 inch thick, srewed and plugged over Plywood. Can I install new hardwood over this without removing it. I ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 25, 2011
I have many unrelated jobs to be done. Is this something a contractor would want to take care of?

The jobs include everything from new windows in my dining room, some vinyl siding fixes, replacing carpet in most of the house, tearing out drywall in the basement, eliminating a window that is ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 24, 2011
Additions priced per square foot?

Hey everyone; I'm looking to add a small addition to my century home and am having trouble both finding a contractor I am comfortable with locally, and any sort of standard whatsoever with regards to pr...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post September 24, 2011
Second Floor Balcony

Considering adding second floor balcony off the master bedroom. But will depend on cost. Prefer to cantilever out, but will also consider post supports. Would be about 5'X10'. Ball park on cost&...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 17, 2011
Deck (Cost to Build)

I'm wondering what is the average cost per sq. feet to building a deck? What is the $/sq ft for Pressure Treated Wood? What is the $/sq ft for Cedar? What is the $/sq ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 13, 2011
how to improve my home

Hello Guys Can you please tell me how we can improve my home ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 13, 2011
Worried about bay window supports

We had bay windows installed in our 1968 bungalow. There have been a number of issues with contractor and we are now concerned that the bay windows might not be supported properly. Everything is now drywalle...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post November 14, 2011
vinyl deck covering

Where can I purchase vinyl deck covering around the lower mainland?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 13, 2011
basement drywall

I have double paneling on my basement walls. When I removed one section, some of drywall surface was pulled off(glue). Can I still keep the drywall and mud it and sand or should I completely remove ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 9, 2011
Choosing replacement windows

Any advice/tips on choosing replacement windows/installers. All Ottawa dealers claim their the best. Is triple pane worth the extra 10%? Thanks...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post August 5, 2011
Electrical code requirements

For a plug-in motorized awning, does the outlet need to be on a separate (GFI) circuit? Thanks. ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 9, 2011
Extensive repair to existing OLD garage

We have a very old garage that is larger than we actually need. We would like to have a smaller one-car garage and reclaim more of the backyard. Can we rebuild a new smaller garage one without a permit...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 8, 2011
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x