Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Need Some Advice????

We bought a home about 5 yrs ago. We are now trying to determine wether to repair or rebuild since there seems to be alot of repairs needed. The House was built in the 1950's we have no basement. We live ...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post February 15, 2011
Ice damming -- cold roof, sun melt

Any suggestions for solving ice damming on a cold roof? The overflow melt from the sun shining on the snow-covered roof is falling all along the entrance way to the house and causing a constaant slipping h...

Number of Responses 13 Date of Last Post February 5, 2011
Pay for a major home renovation or sell and buy a new home?

I'm in the process of contemplating a major renovation that would include a second level addition to a single story bungalow that would include extending the basement and also an overhaul of the kitchen. Iâ...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post July 16, 2012
firedoor/garage door

door from garage to house- does it need to be a firedoor? also, we have a commercial hollow metal door installed. would like to replace door with insulated door and not change jamb. any ideas where i ...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post June 23, 2018
Costs to build a 2 car garage

I would like to find out the approximate cost of having a 2 car garage build with the concrete pad. the size of the structure would be 22 feet wide by 24 feet deep ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 2, 2011
Cold Drafts at base of interior walls

We recently removed baseboards and carpet to put in a hardwood floor and noticed cold drafts in several areas where the wall and floor meet. What can I do to stop the drafts before the hardwood is installed...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post February 8, 2011
Structural Engineer

We are doing a kitchen renovation on mostly a DIY basis, but we need to remove a load-bearing wall - where can we find a structural engineer to do a small job like this in the GTA? And how much should i...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 27, 2011
Thanks...we tried

Hi Bill, Thanks for your insights - we did most you suggested. The previous job was near finished and we did speak to the owner, so we know it was his job. Could have been a relative but I don't th...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 30, 2010
Handiman4y

I hired Handiman 4u in Pickering on May 12/10 it is now Oct and the work is still not complete. I had to see a lawyer . My lawyer instructed me to terminate my contract and sue. I do not recommend anyone...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post October 10, 2010
Do I need a license for this?

Hello, I currently work for a basement reno company as a salesman. All I do is estimating and getting the contracts finalized, I do NOT do any of the actual construction. We have framing/drywall pp...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post January 26, 2011
who is the right person to call for deep hole near foundation?

We recently realized that we have a deep hole (about 4 feet deep by 1.5 feet wide) near our foundation that extends below a raised cement deck area. The foundation's integrity has not been compromi...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 29, 2010
New crew needed

Looking to add another crew must have licence, vehicle, all tools needed for all aspects of in terior renovations ( from rough to finish ) 2 man crew prefered sub rates or hourly send p...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 27, 2010
General Help Wanted

I need to hire general helper, please contact me. Cheers, Vigen...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 24, 2010
Doing Reno's in an apartment condo

Hello all! Looking for some advice. We have purchased a loft in downtown Edmonton. It is a converted 1950's warehouse. A completely open space that has an existing kitchen and bath located in the m...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 2, 2011
Concerned Over Roof

I recently had my roof re-shingled in the fall and started experiencing leaking between the gutter and Fascia in the back of the house. I contacted the company that contracted several times to get them to take ...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post March 23, 2011
Soundproofing a brick party wall.

Any contractors out there who have been succesful in soundproofing a brick party wall in a semi detached home? The stairs run along it so building studs and adding insulation is not an option. We can spa...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post March 27, 2018
Basement Windows

We would like to add a den and extra bedroom into a partially finished basement of our 30 year old bungalow. There are currently two very small windows that are covered by our deck. We would like to install 2...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 7, 2011
tankless water heater

HI Does anyone know of a good electric tankless water heater? Home depot sells the bosch aquastar but i've been getting mixed reviews. Just wandering how much it would cost to install a tankless heate...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 14, 2011
Basic Estimate

Im trying to determine the cost effectiveness of buying a older home and renovating vs buying newer. If i could get a quick professional opinion on some numbers it would greatly help. All numbers given are roug...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 27, 2010
Estimations

Should they cost?? Why are contractors charging me for a correct estimate. I would like to expand out my kitchen, knocking out the outside wall, into the backyard. I have a contractor wanting ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 16, 2010
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x