Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Built-in Garage Reno PERMIT?????

I wanted to know if, I'm renovating my built-in garage ie(taking down walls, adding new recepticals, new lighting, relocating water pipe, insulating the entire garage, etc et...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 13, 2009
Need Work

I just finished a pre-apprenticeship form work course, wanting to get into carpentry to learn various skills. I am hard working, personable, and reliable. Please contact me by email. Christi...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post April 6, 2009
HARDIE Siding ??

I've been considering putting new siding on my house. I love the look of wood but then theres the maintanence thing behing that choice. Then it was recomened i use HARDIE Plank siding. What is it? How ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 14, 2012
Government Rebates Vs. HST Taxation July 1, 2010

Thanks but no thanks. 9000.00 @ 15% = 1,350.00 maximum rebate 9000.00 + HST (13%) = 1,170.00 taxation 1,350.00 - 1,170.00 = 180.00 Total Savings W...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 1, 2009
Government Rebate Vs. HST Taxation

<a href='https://trustedpros.ca/forum/home-improvements/government-rebates-vs-hst-taxation-july-1-2010-1'>Please click here to join our discussion on the new Harmoniz...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post March 27, 2009
What should I expect to pay for a Basement walkout?

Hello, I've tried to do my due dillegence and get a few quotes on this but they're all over the board $4,000 to $20,000. What is a realistic price and what would I be falling for?...

Number of Responses 15 Date of Last Post June 22, 2020
Installing Heated Floor on Concrete Basement Floor

I am installing an electric heated floor on top of a concrete pad in a basement which ceramic tiles will then be placed overtop. I have been told that I should insulate the heating floor system from the concre...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 13, 2009
Too Deep Windows

I need to put interior casing on windows that are too deep. They have been installed and new siding put on so removing them is not an option. There is almost an inch too much on the inside. Does anyone have any...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post February 9, 2011
Recommend Co. for Driveway Pavers

Looking for references for a contractor to install driveway pavers etc... Thanks!!...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 31, 2011
Free Quotation??

I contacted a local contractor who advertised "Free no obligation quote" through this website. I obtained an estimate from him then invited him for a quotation (e.g in writing). We did not c...

Number of Responses 21 Date of Last Post February 10, 2011
Faux stone

Hi, We are looking for inexpensive faux stone, high quality that looks as real as possible for interior and exterior installation. We have looking at NextStone. Do any of you know of any others?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 8, 2009
Mike Holmes...Good or Bad?

I've heard many opinions on the effect Mike Holmes is having on this industry, particularly the effect it's having on contractors. Some people say he's the greatest thing since sliced bread,...

Number of Responses 35 Date of Last Post March 20, 2016
Too many seemingly qialified contractors to choose from

Hello everyone, There are plenty of contractors that seem great, but I'm finding a difficulty choosing the best for my projects. Any advise on what characteristics, qualities, paperwork a...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post April 22, 2010
Condo flooring work wanted

I contract in Barrie, and the GTA and I was just wandering if anybody knows which flooring companies have large contracts to install hardwood in condos in the GTA, any help would be much appreciated,...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post January 20, 2009
bad contractor

Last Oct. 2008, we hired a contractor to finish our basement. He is an aqcuaintance of one of our family friend. We trusted our basement to him and our interior home painting. Eventually, we got inspect...

Number of Responses 19 Date of Last Post August 11, 2015
FLOOR COVERINGS INTERNATIONAL ~ beware of this company

I hired FLOOR COVERINGS INTERNATIONAL(Burlington) to put tiles in my home. James Mathewson, the owner, said a self leveling compound would be used in areas where the floor was not level. The i...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post March 2, 2009
You Get What You Pay For

Without sounding as I am blaming anyone but I must comment on many of these posting and say that " If the price is too good to be real" there is something wrong... In many cases the contractors are not ...

Number of Responses 15 Date of Last Post June 1, 2011
Will the house fall down?

We are in the planning stage, our split level has two bedrooms on the lower floor and we want to open the space. The living room and kitchen are directly above. The wall to be removed has nothing in it (...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post August 3, 2010
Good Contractor, Bad contractor - you decide

I had a house re-done after the fire. For this job I hired Kingdom Constructions company. They seamed like very nice guys, definitely talking the talk. The job was done, with slight delay, but ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post December 15, 2008
Contractors left job unfinished-advice?

Firstly, we have not paid the contractor their balance. Not only are they not returning our emails or phone calls to schedule an appointment for repair work, they are also not asking for their balance ...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post December 28, 2015
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x