Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Install washer and dryer

Hello... I need to hire a contractor to install a washer and dryer but first I'm not sure if this can be done. My condo does not have an in-suite washer and dryer, which means nothing has been pr...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post August 8, 2015
HOME RENO TV SHOW - CASTING COUPLES

Brand new home renovation TV series needs you! We are looking for couples to renovate a room in their home. One member of the couple must be handy - either a DIYer or a pro. If you or your par...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 13, 2011
addition

We are planning on adding to our house and are thinking of either a second story or adding out off the main floor. We are looking for one bedroom and a bathroom. Our current house is a two bedroom one bathroom ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 8, 2010
building above garage

Need to add an additional room to our house, how easy and cost effective is this? We'll be tearing down excisting bedroom walls and reconfiguring all bedrooms....

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post October 7, 2011
Removal Pre-fabricated Fireplace

My apologies if I get the jargon wrong. I will do my best to explain. Our family room was built with what I believe is a pre-fabricated fireplace: hearth with a metal flue that runs out the side o...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 1, 2011
Customer Viewpoint

Hi - I have been a customer of this website for some time now. I still have a project in mind for my home (a Sunroom/Addition/Extension) here in Chilliwack. I posted earlier this year and ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post November 30, 2009
Moving a telepost

Is it possible to strengthen an existing built up wood floor beam (3-2X10) by sistering an additional 2X10 onto it ,so as to move a telepost support farther apart from the outside concrete wall&...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 20, 2010
Chimney caps and re-pointing

Wondering if anyone has any experience hiring a chimney or brickwork company in Toronto?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 28, 2015
hole in cold room floor

Hi there: I have a 4 level backsplit. On the lower 4th level which is the basement, I have a sump pump on the left side of the wall near the front of the house. On the right side of the basement also...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 24, 2009
Looking for reputable Attic Insulation Contractor

I've been searching for a good contractor to do an attic insulation work. I've had 2 quotes so far and they are world's apart. One contractor quoted approx. $800 whie the other $1600. I'...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 12, 2011
Pet stains on sub-floor

I am having laminate flooring installed and I am ripping out the carpets myself. After doing so I noticed a bunch of pet stains on the sub floor that were painted over by the previous owner. I have a dog and h...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 9, 2015
Basemnent Entrance

hi there, i need to have an entrance put into my basement, can anyone suggest where to start looking?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 25, 2009
Bathroom Plumbing Issue

I recently had my main bathroom on the second floor completely renovated. It was gutted down to the studs and replace with new. Now everytime i use water i.e take a shower, flush the toilet or wash my han...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post January 7, 2010
The new HST

Does anyone know: If you already have a renovation contract signed before this new HST comes into effect, are you exempted from paying it? Are there any time limits on it?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 10, 2010
Need ideas for blogs/articles

Hello, I am one of the developers responsible for the design, development and maintenance of a Leisure Products web site (whose name shall remain anonymous?). Part of my responsibility is ma...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post June 10, 2009
Replace/Enlarge Basement Windows

My house in Edmonton is 30+ yrs old. The basement windows are too small to meet todays codes for puttiing a bedroom in the basement. I've spoken to one contractor who said to do this properly they would...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 6, 2015
Fences

When installing a knew fence insure the posts are at least 2 feet in the ground. Fill the hole with concrete to prevent the poles from shifting...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post November 2, 2009
Energy rebates & grants for homeowners

Attention homeowners! Did you know the good news about the Ontario Home Energy Audit and Retrofit Programs? Take advantage of this program when you upgrade your home with new windows - doors,...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 8, 2009
Oil Based Primer

Hi All I need to buy an oil based primer and my question is, is the smell that bad? It will cost me $140.00 more to purchase the odorless brand than the regular one and wanted to know if this is ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post August 7, 2015
Concrete block foundation

hello! I need a quote for foundation 8'-0" x17'-0"x8'-0" with concrete slab for addition. This foundation required 5-6risers walkout to the back of addition. how muc...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post April 14, 2009
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x