Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Electrician challenges

I am volunteering at Habitat for Humanity Nova Scotia, currently building a semi. A large union, commercial oriented electrical contractor has come on board supplying materials and labour. They are crea...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 10, 2018
Example off written contract with plumber

I need example of written contract with plumber. Job is in condominium therefore it has to specify warranty for labor, material and for how long. In case of damage, flood in my property and to other pro...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 10, 2018
How to rearrange my long closet?

I have a closet that is about 12 feet long and has two doors, one on each side. I have a horizontal poll that goes accross with a wire shelf on top. I would like to rearrange the inside of the closet so I...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 9, 2018
Deck In Winnipeg, MB

Hi All, I had a deck built in Winnipeg, MB. The plat form of the deck itself looked great but the one corner sank. Once the contractor heard of the problem, he immediately made arrangements to c...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post July 9, 2018
Yard solutions

Backyard patio heaves badly in winter. the one side of house is a shared hill going into backyard. There is slight swale going down hill, but want to slow down water problem at bottom to put in a floating d...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 9, 2018
Cost to finish a 10 by 10 bedroom

How much would it cost aprox. to finish a 10 by 10 bedroom. Drywall, tape and first coat of mud done. Toronto...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 9, 2018
Advice on companies providing design build of new home in Mississauga.

Existing serviced home located in Mississauga. Looking for companies or GCs that provide design/build services for new homes. Existing house to be demolished and new home built. I am currently looking at th...

How do you price jobs?

Me and my co worker have been pricing most jobs at , material cost , plus an hourly rate for the 2 of us ( 70$ / hour ) So 35 dollars an hour each. Is this to high to ask for such jo...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post July 6, 2018
Rigid sun tunnel fell out!

Our house has a rigid sun tunnel installed, and when my dad took the diffuser plate off to clean it, the whole metal tube fell out. Now we can’t get it back in. What’s the best way to re-place it back i...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 5, 2018
Is 3 1/2 hole ok for 6x6 post for a fence

is 3 1/2 feet deep enough when building we are using 6/6 post...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post July 6, 2018
Doors Instead of Walls

There is a set of glass doors between my room and my roommate. It's not ideal, but it's San Francisco - what can you do! I do, however, need a way to cover the doors so we can't see ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 5, 2018
Possible incorrect GFCI for jacuzzi tub

We recently bought a home with an old jacuzzi tub. It is wired to a 15 amp circuit breaker, but in between the circuit breaker and the tub is a 20 amp GFCI receptacle and a 20 amp timer switch. The gauge of...

Contractors won't communicate or return items

We have contractors that have abandoned their work at our house. They won't communicate with us. How can we get our things back from them? They have some of the items we bought....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 6, 2018
What is the average cost to install glue down vinyl blank? Old flooring removed down to the subfloor

Old floor removed the subfloor is in good shape. Just looking at what labour should cost to install 600 square feet or if I should tackle it myself. ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 4, 2018
Contractor defaulting on contract?

We hired a company to install 5 windows. After some back and forth where we changed the ratio of the transom over picture and transom over casement (email supported) we signed a contract and paid the d...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 4, 2018
How much would it cost to finish my 1,000 sq ft basement with standard finish?

No mechanical needed, just an open concept basement....

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post July 7, 2018
The Fence company we hired, damaged the neighbors post

We are in Ontario, Canada. The fence company that we hired changed a post that belonged to our neighbors and us. They did not ask us or the neighbors for permission. In doing so they put it back 7 cent...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 3, 2018
Can I remove a double 40A breaker for an electric stove if I now have a gas stove?

I would like to add a whole house surge protector. The surge protector call for a double pole 20A breaker which as luck would have it I have no empty slots. What I do have at the very top of my panel is a dou...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 3, 2018
How much for fence installation

how much to install fences, 10 panels and 11 posts, i can get the material myself i just need someone to take out the old one and install the new one, the panels are 6' tall and 8' long and ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post August 24, 2018
Excavation and Foundation cost

What's a reasonable cost to excavate and then pour a concrete floor, footings and foundation? Area is 12x16 - 8 feet deep. Access to the area is 43 inches wide. ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 2, 2018
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x