Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Estimated cost for footings and foundation. 2nd Post!

What's a reasonable cost to excavate and then pour a concrete floor, footings and foundation? Area is 12x16 - 8 feet deep. Access to the area is 43 inches wide. I posted this question before but ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 23, 2018
My GC did electrical work without license or permit

Hi, We recently underwent some home renovations. We hired a general contractor to come in and do all of the work. Things went sour after 19 weeks (7 weeks after the scheduled completion date) and...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post July 28, 2018
Replacing glass in window - where do I find this piece that broke from original window?

The window got vandalized and the glass needs to be replaced. I want to find out what this piece is called to buy a replacement as it is broken. I believe it is the frame that holds the glass together but i can...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 20, 2018
Why is the insulation covered in moisture on the inside.....against the insulation?

Why is the insulation covered in moisture against the vapour barrier?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 19, 2018
Cost for Architectural and Mechanical drawings for my retail tenant improvement project

What is a ball park high end cost on this service? Architectural - Demolition Plan, Construction Plan, Finish Plan, Elevation Plan and Reflected Ceiling Plan . Mechanical - Plumbing and H...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 19, 2018
Crawlspace question

We have a small crawlspace in our basement (closed off from the rest of the basement) which has a dirt/soil floor and it is currently covered with a plastic sheet. We were told that it is not good t...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post July 23, 2018
Roofer problems

We hired a roofing company to do our roof I was getting an uneasy feeling after they showed up and dropped off their shingles and told me the house would have to be resheeted and then was going the leave the ch...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 17, 2018
Deck railing posts

I recently put up new deck railing posts 4 x 4 and secured them inside rim joist with 1/2 hex head through bolts and simpson tension ties. Two posts have come loose within weeks of install. Is this due to P...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 16, 2018
Cost for re shingling

Cost of reshingling a 1500sq foot bungalow as well as repairing water damage in garage due to leaking flashing around chimneys....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 16, 2018
Painting oak colored baseboard, trim, doors and cupboards

I have a few questions. Our house was built in the 80s.. our entire main floor is honey oak hardwood and all of our baseboards and trim are a light brown (oak like) color. Some of windows have white t...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post July 16, 2018
Water damage to laminate flooring

I had water back up and flood my newly installed laminate floor. It now makes a cracking noise when walked on. Is the only solution replacing the damaged area? I believe the laminate is still available....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 15, 2018
Are Footings Required Under Sono Tubes

I plan to build a 4'x6' sauna. I want to put it on four 6" Sono tubes for support. If these are buried below the frost line, do I need to install footings under the tubes? The soil is mos...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post July 17, 2018
Is there a company inspect/audit of what contractors have done?

I have this question because my contractor has done some bad work. I worry if some work he has done has health and safety issues. Is there a company I can hire to go through what my contractor did and write a r...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 15, 2018
Second kitchen?

Do I need a permit to put in a second kitchen in the basement of an elevated bungalow?...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post August 31, 2018
Who’s the most accurate Estimating Take Off Software?

Currently we use Clearestimates based out of the US. I have a few issues with the software including but not limited to the assemblies don’t have common components like “Big Foots, Ledger Boards, Metal ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 13, 2018
Loose Stone Steps

Our entrance has these loose stone steps. Any ideas for quick fixes or best long-term solution?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 12, 2018
Drywall

Can we put 1/4” permabase over regular drywall in a walk-in shower that we are putting a shower surround on?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 13, 2018
We have a serious problem with a licensed contractor we hired to repair dry rot on the front of our house in preparation before putting our house up for sale. Need help!

We have a serious problem. We hired a licensed contractor to repair dry rot on the front of our house in preparation before putting our house up for sale. Yesterday Pest Inspector & Home Inspector stated plac...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 11, 2018
Estimate for Range Hood Installation

We are planning our kitchen reno in Etobicoke and trying to make sure we vent the range hood outside - currently there is no range hood. What is the approximate cost for installation of the hood on a kitchen w...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 13, 2018
Shower grout cracked and loose

My shower grout between wall and floor tile is coming loose since the chaulking in some areas has peeled away. Should I have someone come in to repair the grout (remove and replace some areas) or do it...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post July 11, 2018
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x