Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Do I need to replace drywall in ceiling if water from upstairs was leaking for a few minutes

Hi, My daughter left the faucet in the bathroom sink running for some time (my guess is under 5-10 minutes but unsure). There was some water on the tiled floor, that I dried up with some towe...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 29, 2018
Excavation and concrete pour

What’s a reasonable cost for a 12 x 16 - 8 foot depth excavation and then concrete floor, footings and foundation pour?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post June 27, 2018
Plywood sheeting on Interior wall.

I started to put a barn door 34x84 between a bathroom and an adjacent bedroom. The bed room is 10ft tall x 11ft wide. I cut the sheet rock in the bath room, however when I began to cut the bedroom side I ra...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post June 26, 2018
What to do with a client who does not want to pay a contractor

Shady guy, taking advantage of contractors. After initial agreement was set and half of the money was released, the contractor did his job; however, the client changed the terms of the original cont...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post June 28, 2018
Tile installation - Toronto.

I am having a mudroom built and need the floor tiled. I have the tiles, and asked a contractor for a quote to install but it seems quite high. How much should I expect to pay for install (labour, th...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 26, 2018
How much would something like this cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post June 26, 2018
Ceramic tile prep

I am installing ceramic tile over a slab where there was the cheap square stick-on vinyl tiles. Vinyl was laid about a year ago, so most of the tiles came right up and did not leave much residue. It's n...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post June 27, 2018
clay soil 8 inch sonotube hole fill in?

Hello, I have dug down 4 feet in clay soil and inserted 8 inch sone tubes to make piers for a deck project. SHould I fill in the hole around the sonetube with sand, crushed gravel, gravel, or or...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post June 26, 2018
What lighting to use for wood working shop

I’m building a wood working shop - 30x60x10 and unsure about what lighting I should use. Led or standard t8’s?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post June 25, 2018
Converting a pitched roof to a flat roof

We have a one-story house which was built in 1973 and originally had a flat roof, as most houses here do. The flat roof is still intact beneath a pitched roof that was erected later. The pitch is quite ste...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post June 24, 2018
What would fair payment be in this situation? Can he take us to small claims court with no invoice?

We had a fence done by a friend of a friend. There are so many issues with the fence including: posts are smaller than what we were quoted for, cross boards are smaller than what we were quoted for...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 21, 2018
Paint color for foundation

Siding color is natural clay and I need to paint the block foundation. What color paint would look best?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 21, 2018
Water drainage solutions for yard

Needing solutions for backyard that is flat ground and has hill going down into backyard and standing water in spring. Wanting to get advice on what can be done for this? Whether it means having a rock ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post June 21, 2018
Cost to rewire a 1400 sq ft bungalow with aluminum wires

We recently purchased a 1970s bungalow in London with aluminum wiring. The home is approximately 1400 sq ft. We are looking to update the wiring and change the panel. What kind of cost can we expect? ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 22, 2018
6' cedar fence,85' long in Cambridge Ontario

Need an estimate on a 6' cedar fence installed, shadow box look, post holes dug and concrete,(existing soil is bank run or sandy gravel),1'lattice top, good access, appro...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post November 26, 2018
What to do if concrete contractor damage your neighbours property?

We hired a concrete contractor this summer. We regrets of hiring this guy. We are very disappointed with his work ethics and created more damage between our property and the neighbour's side. Now, its b...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 20, 2018
Walking on backer board with wet mortar

I have to install 1/4" backer board on washroom floor with mortar under it and them screw them. Is it ok if i walk on it to screw, when the mortar is wet under the backer boards?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 20, 2018
Cost Enquiry

I'm looking for a ball bark estimate on cost for the following: Excavation and Foundation for 2000 sq ft. basement and Framing for 4500 sq ft. ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post June 19, 2018
Toilet install in basement

Can you install a 4.8L toilet in a basement or does it need to be 6L? I was specifically looking at the American Standard Sonoma Cadet 4.8...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post June 20, 2018
Need help with contracting prices

Hi, my son and I are partners in our home improvements/renovation business in Peterborough. I am not use to pricing as an owner, and know to have our business succeed it needs to make money as we...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post June 21, 2018
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x