Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Cost for installing basement door into a low basement

Order of magnitude cost and doability to install an exterior door to a basement that is about 4 feet below grade with a concrete perimeter wall with a 4 feet wide by 3 feet high window above. Would involve rem...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 19, 2018
Cost for permit drawing for basement

Hello, Approx. how much to get drawing done to apply for Fast track Second Suite ? Second Suite is 2 bedroom apt. Thanks, Laurie...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post June 18, 2018
Well pump won't cut off - no water. Need help!

Was feeling up my pool with a hose we have a well after about an hour or so I noticed the pump wouldn't cut off and the water stopped running now we have no water in the whole house. Any idea what that coul...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 19, 2018
Cause of peeling/cracking paint

Have some peeling / cracked paint forming in the basement. Not sure if it's a leak coming from a pipe in the house. Haven't had the chance to see how wet the area is as it is higher up. I take it my...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 18, 2018
Basement moisture

I am planning to cover up my basement wall but recently I found that there is a moisture inside the moisture barrier, there is no crack on the wall and dehumidifier is running, I did check the slope out...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post June 21, 2018
Support beam span

So I'm build a 30'deep by 35'wide garage with an apartment above and had some questions about a support beam. I was going to triple up a 2x12 to make a laminated beam to span the 30' with two po...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post June 18, 2018
Basement walls

I plan to finish my basement and i've looked at many methods. I'm thinking of doing the following: Putting rigid foam against wall and securing it with stud wall by nailing it to joists and to th...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post June 17, 2018
Placement of toilet flange and Valves for copper

Q1- What would you suggest, flange sitting on the fished floor (ceramic tiles) or on the sub-floor? If its on the fished floor, do i need to drill holes in the tile in order to screw the fla...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post June 14, 2018
ABS pipe cement and joint under toilet flange

I was putting the elbow under the toilet. i removed the old one. I think i took a little longer to put them together after cementing. I dont think it went all the way in. I guess it went 3/4 in the 3" e...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post June 14, 2018
Demolition with raw sewage pricing question

I have been offered a job that includes a broken sewer line draining into the area under the floor in two rooms causing the wood in the floors to soften and swell. The job I have been offered is to move all fur...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 14, 2018
What can I do to protect my duraceramic floor?

I had a Congoleum DuraCeramic floor professionally installed less than 4 months ago because we were told by several flooring people (at different stores) that it was a good product for a kitchen. They ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 17, 2018
Cost for Basement bedroom.

hi, my basement is currently unfinished, I would like to just build a bedroom. Approx 9x10. How much would this cost? This wouldn’t include plumbing, only the bedroom. This is also a new build h...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 14, 2018
Cost of Labor per sf to remove and install new vinyl siding

In the Vancouver B.C Area. I am trying to budget for redoing the siding on my house. Thanks very much!...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post June 13, 2018
Building an addition up or out?

Im looking to add a master suite to my current 3 bedroom side split home. i have a two car garage that i could built up on but i also have a large yard and the area behind the garage it open and could easily us...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 11, 2018
Cost to install a chimney range hood?

I am trying to figure out a reasonable price to install a chimney-style hood over a new kitchen island. This requires electrical hookup and venting to the roof. If anyone could give a ballpark range, I wou...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post June 12, 2018
Cost to replace fencing

Please quote for a package price of replace fencing around yard including dismount, installation and clean the site by moving the garbage away....

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post September 20, 2018
Cost for electrical outlet

I am thinking to put new electrical outlet for a laundry machine & a dryer. How much usually does it cost?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post June 11, 2018
Cost for back stairs

How much should be charged for back stairs - 1 set going down to back and 1 set going to the front. I feel he charge me too much. 1,300 plus 554.00 for supplies. They started work arround 9:00 am, f...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 12, 2018
Fix for damaged drywall Were the shower tile meets the drywall.

Bathroom tile Reno. When removing a tile border from around the shower/tub a section of drywall was damaged leaving about an inch by inch section on the top with just the drywall paper (where the wall m...

Small half bathroom "peel and stick" tile time frame.

Hello Pros, I have a small half bathroom: sink w/ attached vanity cabinet and a commode. Area is less than 5'x5' {with cabinet & commode taking up much of that space}. The linoleum...

Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x