Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Basement Stair location

Can basement stairs exit through a garage, instead of leading into the house?...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post June 12, 2018
Make Up Air Damper for Home - Range Hood

We have a 15 years old house with new windows, the house is about 2,000 SQFT. Our range hood is rated at 800CFM. Do we need to install the Make up air damper to comply with the building code? ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 6, 2018
Complaining fence customer

In the process of doing a fence in southern Ontario by Lake Erie, I have dug my holes to 42 inch’s depth, which I know will be fine for frost depth. The customer is saying it should be 4ft which I know ...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post June 8, 2018
How much will it cost to do a basement reno with kitchenette?

We are looking to renovate the basement. We want to add up a wall and flip the washroom and laundry room for easy access and add a kitchenette so we can rent it in the future. We want to know the cost estimate ...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post June 5, 2018
Basement bedroom window size: Gatineau, QC

What is the minimum opening a basement bedroom window can have in Gatineau, QC? i.e. how many square feet/inches, along with the smallest dimension allowable?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post June 5, 2018
What would it take to repair this shoddy baseboard installation?

So the original owner of my town home installed this trim all through the main level, and this is what the finished product looks like throughout. How would I repair this to be more aesthetically pleasing&#...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post June 6, 2018
Painting prices for subcontractors

What is the average price for subcontractors painting walls in Edmonton?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post June 4, 2018
Can you glue mosiac tiles on kitchen cabinets?

The gentleman who put up my cabinets made a huge mistake on the doors. Please see attachment. So being hysterical over this since Friday, my friends and I came up with the idea to move the handles wh...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 25, 2019
Interlocking Quote

I will be doing interlocking this year in my front yard, back yard and side. I wanted to get some feedback on the quote I received to confirm if its reasonable. Please advise. Thanks! Front interlock...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post June 5, 2018
Central vacuum

We've recently purchased a home with a central vacuum and would like to have the system removed. We haven't been able to find much information about the pros and cons of this or the type of cost we sho...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 3, 2018
Budget 500k is this reasonable to build this house in rural Ottawa

The home is 2500 as ft, plus garage 27x30. We are not including sceptic or well in the 500k budget with Mid level finishes. ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 5, 2018
What could be wrong with my water pump?

I have water in the house but my water pump will not shut off I have an old water pump....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post June 1, 2018
Was it normal to get a moisture inside the vapor barrier?

How to get rid of the moisture inside the vapor barrier? We are planning to finish the basement. Thanks...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post June 1, 2018
Is this good brick layer workmanship?

See picture of brickwork on new house Mortar on brick? Horizontal mortar joints are not consistent with vertical mortar joints? Messed up corner?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 2, 2018
Should the linear drain be located against the far wall across from the shower door or would the drain by the doors work

Hello, I am re-gutting my very small bathroom (5 ft by 8 ft) and installing a curbless shower with a linear drain similar to the attached picture except I will have sliding shower doors. My contract...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post June 2, 2018
Metal building construction

Why are some metal buildings built only with girts and bracing and others with studs?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post June 2, 2018
Garage flooring concrete issues - do I have any options?

Hello, A company was contracted last year end October to do concrete work at my residence. The contract was for $20,000 CAD. The garage floor was ripped off as per the verbal contract since ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 31, 2018
Installing vinyl plank flooring over concrete slab.

The contractor installed a vapor barrier then 3/8" plywood. Prior to installing vinyl I noticed bulges in the plywood. The sheets were installed right against each other. I think it is an expansion issu...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 30, 2018
Insonorisation d’une chambre à coucher

Bonjours MR.Holmes Mon fils habite au sous sol de notre maison à revenus, il travail de nuit donc le bruit des locataires surtout les bruit d’impact le dérange beaucoup, ma mère habitait le logement du...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 30, 2018
Shower base

I live in a condo and currently have a bath tub which I like to be replaced by shower base, and no modification to the current plumbing due to condo regulations. Is this duable? Thanks ...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post June 2, 2018
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x