Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Cost to replace the wood moulding around the window connected to my door

The wood moulding around the small window connected to my front door has been shredded down to the nails by my dog clawing at it. How much would it cost to replace?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 30, 2017
Basement concrete becoming mushy

In the basement, in the centre, small areas of the concrete are becoming wet and mushy. I know there was a lot of water this year and the water table was high. The holes seem to be in a straight line...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 29, 2017
Open concept kitchen living room

I saw lots of video on Youtube. They show how to remove load bearing wall between kitchen and living room on the main floor. If I install a beam and 2 poles sit on 2 joists is it safe for my house? Should ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post August 29, 2017
Concrete Driveway

1. How much it cost to resurface cracked concrete driveway? Approx size is around 500 sq/fts. 2. How much it cost to exposed aggregate driveway for size of 500 Sq/Fts? 3. Which one is les...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 29, 2017
Unlevel concrete floor - would like to put on flooring

How can I get my approx. 1000 sqft concrete floor level enough to put an engineered or tile floor on it? It's a mess and no installers will consider putting flooring on it (don't blame them&...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post August 29, 2017
Price for floor and wall tile installation in a bathroom

What is a reasonable price for floor and wall tile installation in a typical bathroom?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 29, 2017
Build a house in Surrey or Maple Ridge in British Columbia

what is price per square feet to build a house in Surrey or Maple Ridge, BC area on a empty lot...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 30, 2017
Possibility of building a garage

Hi, I am in the process of buying a house. The house doesn't have a garage. I want to build it on my own. Today, I went to the Toronto Buildings office, Etobicoke, ON to know the zoning b...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 25, 2017
Garage sub panel

Hi, I'm running electrical 240 v/30 amp to my sub panel in my detached garage. Question - Do I hook my neutral up? I think it should be but just want to confirm. Bare ground is hooked up to e...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post August 25, 2017
why is the mesh showing on my glass tile backsplash?

Why is the mesh showing on my glass tile backsplash? We recently had our kitchen backsplash tiled with 2" X 6" glass subway tile which was mounted on 1ft sq" mesh and now we can see the mesh...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 25, 2017
How to remove hardened grout?

I had a new tub installed a week ago with tile. My contractor flaked on the job and left me high and dry after he applied the grout. I have been trying for the past week to remove the excess, with no luck. ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 25, 2017
Can I put 1" thick plywood under a roof patio for strength?

Can I use 1" thick plywood as a stronger alternative to 3/4 inch?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 27, 2017
Wood Soffit

What is the best wood product for soffit in Atlantic Canada, or more specifically, Newfoundland and Labrador? Thanks Wayne ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post August 24, 2017
Foundation lifting

Need to find out how house foundation lifting is usually done....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post August 24, 2017
What is involved with having an electrician check aluminum wiring?

Does the wiring need complete replacing even if no issues? And what might the cost be?...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post September 16, 2017
Cost of hiring a contractor for building cabin/home

I am looking into building a cabin/home on my property and I would like to know the average cost of hiring a contractor. I am new to this. The home would be on bareland with only power and water hooked up...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 30, 2017
What thickness of veneer to use for staircase?

Hi, I just finisched my sons staircase. All I have to do now is to cover the new stringer with wood veneer. I am a bit upset because I cut my fingers. I am planning to make a templet out of thin cardport...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 24, 2017
What type of contractor does indoor stairs?

While it's easy to find someone to do our flooring, it's been difficult finding a contractor who does indoor stairs. What kind of contractor does this kind of work so I can refine my searches?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 23, 2017
Do you need a certificate to fix up a house?

Do you need a certificate to fix up a house, like dry walling, painting and flooring in Manitoba? I'm starting a business....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 22, 2017
How high should my wall be to add a wall paper?

I am thinking of adding wallpaper to my basement which has a height of 6' 3" and wanted to know if it would be ok to add a black wallpaper. I don't know if it would look nice since the height of the...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post August 21, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x