Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
What can I do if Roofer didn't remove old shingles as per contract?

So I have a contract that specifically stated "remove old roofing material to bare wood." The workers refused because it was too hard and taking too long. (They were stuck to the ice and water)....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 15, 2017
How to insulate an old brick wall without sheeting or sidings?

I have a house built in 1960 with a un-heated garage. The 3 of the garage exterior walls are in brick attached to 2x4 structure with nails. So in order it looks like the following: bricks, air gap,...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 14, 2017
Running wire for hot tub near gas fireplace exhaust vent?

Located in Airdrie Alberta, Canada. I'm running a circuit out for a hot tub and all is good except for where the disconnect is going to be. Attached a picture. In the vicinity is a window, a ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post September 16, 2017
Foam insulation plus batting

Is it possible to spray foam insulation (about 1") and then put R22 or so, batting on top of that? We would do this only for exterior walls. The walls are concrete blocks....

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post September 16, 2017
Removing paint from concrete slab

Using a pressure washer. What psi output is needed to remove paint spots from a concrete slab?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 21, 2017
Sealing interior basement walls

We have a little moisture coming in from the basement floor and we want to seal it before finishing the basement. Is the Blueskin product (the one you paint on) a good solution or is it just for exterio...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 12, 2017
Finishing basement questions (GTA Ontario area)

I've been reading a lot about this before I start... I have a small room that has 3 sides interior walls and one cinder block partially underground wall (can look out window to garden). I'll h...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 21, 2017
How much would something like this cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post September 11, 2017
100s of tiny holes on walls

I have a room where the walls are covered with 100s of thumb tack holes. What's the best way to repair these walls?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post September 21, 2017
Garage foundation Leak

Hello, I have a 2 year old home. There is a water penetration during heavy rain in the garage. Some water drips from the ceiling causing puffy area on the OSB sheathing and some water seems to come out ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 19, 2017
insulated skirting

What is the cost for insulated skirting on a mobile home in Alberta?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 13, 2017
Cost for service upgrade for a residential triplex

What would a ballpark figure be to upgrade a residential triplex from 60 amp to 100 amp for 3 units. Hydro requires a new service cap, conduit to a new 3 meter base, and conduit to 3 units. the first un...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post September 10, 2017
LF contaractors interested in purchasing easy flip edmonton homes that can produce double rental incomes by finishing the basement suite?

i have a 5 bd home for private sale (York area), upstairs fully reno'd, downstairs open pallet pre-plumbed all the fixtures, possible income property - 2 suites. How do I reach contracto...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 9, 2017
Closing up old fireplace

I want to close up an existing gas fireplace. Exterior of "chimney/flue" is cedar shingles (no brick) and will not be removed. We want to drywall the fireplace opening on the inside of the...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 9, 2017
Permanent roof water seepage

I have a permanent roof installed a few years ago. The installation was done over top of the original asphalt shingles. The other day I was checking on the eavestroughs and found out when tapping on the roof...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 10, 2017
Securing side yard deck for rodents

I have a composite deck but not secured well and rodents find their way under right now there is one that I am awaiting Orkin to remove because of bait they put down. I am not sure who to call to get this job d...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 10, 2017
What is best way to reinforce shed structure (apart from demo)

This shed is approximately 11 x 9 and was poorly constructed. It resides on gfs property. It should be demo'd but for time being (has stood for at least 10 years in Nova Scotia Canada) it needs rein...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 10, 2017
Residential roofing in Nova Scotia

Are residential roofing contractors required to have a C of Q in Nova Scotia? Are we supposed to have a signed contract and proof of their insurance?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 8, 2017
Cost of interlocking bricks on front lawn

Is $10,000.00 to $11,000.00 a reasonable price for installation of interlocking bricks on a 300 square foot front lawn (including an asphalt parking spot)? They would be using Perma...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 6, 2017
how do i clean out a birds nest from my exterior vent

Looking for help and cautions when taking out an old nest from an exterior vent....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 5, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x