Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Cost for retaining wall

How much is it to build a retaining wall with footing and above grade, size 59'x2' and 16'x4' other side is 75'x3'?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post August 21, 2017
Relocate washer dryer within a house.

I would like to relocate a washer and dryer from the kitchen to the lower level of the house. What sort of professional should I be looking for to do this? I would like to put the W/D in an existing sh...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 21, 2017
Permit and cost for 8 ft by 12 ft deck

Do I need to apply for a permit to build a deck and how much will it cost me to build it on top of a flat roof above the second floor?? Note: the size is 8 ft by 12 ft....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 20, 2017
Techno posts - cost & clearance required for machine to install posts

Wondering about cost of installation per post of Techno posts and especially how much vertical clearance is required. Thinking they may be an option for leveling under the edge of our 1 to 3 foot high cottage...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 20, 2017
How should posts be installed under cottage to guard against frost heaving?

Our cottage, an hour north of Ottawa, has the old part of our cottage mainly resting on concrete blocks but one side is resting on the foundation of a new section of cottage. One corner of the old cot...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post August 19, 2017
Cost for chimney removal

How much to remove a chimney and fireplace which are in the center of the home, in Victoria, BC?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 20, 2017
Cost of building an old bungalow in new two story home

What is the approximate cost of revamping 60 years old bungalow (main floor 852 sq feet) and keep only one wall, rebuilding on same sq footage but go up one floor with bedrooms and 1 bathroom (f...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 19, 2017
Cost and availability for renovations

Floor (partial) repair and replaced, new toilet, and new lining installed in old bathtub. Availability, start & complete date & approximate cost. Flooring = vinyl. Size approx. 9 ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 21, 2017
How long to start basement renovations?

How long on average does it take for contractors to start a project such as finishing a basement? I've had two quotes so far but one can't start for 3 months... is this typical? ...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post August 22, 2017
Price to install and supply ditra only

Price to install 270 square feet of ditra in 3 different rooms. 1st room 45 square with 8 x 8 tile. 2nd room 125 square with 3 x 12 inch porcelain tile straight with staggered pattern. 3rd room is 100 square us...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 5, 2021
Cedar sauna refurb

We have a sauna that needs new tongue and groove installed, we will remove the old cedar, curious as to price to put up the new cedar, our previous quotes all seem high....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 17, 2017
What do you get for your money?

When you see it would cost $200 - $250 sq.ft to build a bungalow does that include land, city permits, hook ups to water and sewer or septic, etc.? What does it include? What is not ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 17, 2017
Attic and ventilation

We purchased a house and the insulation is rated r12, we'd like to bring that up r50 or whatever is code now. The ensuite vents into the attic as opposed to venting to the exterior- we'd like to fix...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post August 16, 2017
Cost for flooring, banister and a few odd jobs

We will be converting the upstairs from carpet to hardwood - about 800 sqft. We'd like to take the opportunity to replace the banister and do the stairs. This job will include nosing along the loft, and...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post August 16, 2017
Rates of drywallers

How much do drywallers charge? What's the break down? ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 15, 2017
How can I fix a garage door squeak?

How do you fix a squeak in the garage door when opening?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 15, 2017
Is their building code for roofing in Nova Scotia? If so how do I find it?

I own half of a duplex. 80% of my roof shingles were replaced and now my neighbour is doing theirs. Trouble is their roof ties into my roof over top of my front porch. This portion of mine needs to be done....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post August 14, 2017
Basement entrance in the front porch

Hi, We live in Toronto and have a two story detached home. Our basement is quite large we would like to one day rent it out. As i understand, to do so would require a second entrance. Our proximit...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 14, 2017
Using a fence energizer for specific application

I do photos of birds in flight, coming and going from feeders. Squirrels are a problem as they take the feed the birds are coming for. I got a Patriot PE2 fence energizer and set it up as directed. Problem...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 14, 2017
Average cost of laminate/vinyl install?

We are renovating our cottage. We have 1420 square feet of flooring to be completed- vinyl and laminate. (620 and 800 respectively) we have purchased our own flooring. Our contractor that is completing...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post August 14, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x