Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Cost of installing one wall?

We just bought home and second floor has open area that we want to convert into room. There are already three walls and a window. We just want to install the 4th wall and a door. Need to know the cost of this p...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post November 1, 2016
Renovation with big company, subcontractor

We started a renovation with a big box store today, kitchen and bathroom. The price was very competitive compared to other fully licensed companies we checked out. The sub-contractor came today to start wor...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post October 31, 2016
Insulating my basement

I want to insulate my basement. It is currently bare concrete block wall not finished. I was going to install foil backed foam boards against the block wall then 2x4 stud wall filled with Roxul. However at t...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post October 30, 2016
ESA permits

Hello! We just recently moved into a house that had a recent kitchen renovation. We had a house inspection prior to purchase and found no issues. When we moved in, one of the outlets wasn't wo...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post October 29, 2016
No invoice and threatening lien

Have a contractor who has offered up a balance via email which is well beyond what was anticipated. Asked for a break down on costs, permits and labor and he refuses to cooperate, giving vague numbers a...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post October 29, 2016
Cost to replace bath/shower faucet/mixer/head?

I had a typical 4 pc bathroom(5'x9') with a bath tub and tile surround in a 60s era room. Bath had been refinished but was peeling so i ripped it and the tile surround back to the studs to find ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post October 28, 2016
Mandatory Working at Heights Training - Who foots the bill?

Hello Fellow Contractors! Regarding the mandatory Working at Heights training - who would be responsible to pay for the course? I cant seem to find a clear cut answer anywhere! Is the Empl...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 27, 2016
Double garage cost

Hi everyone, I'd like to know the rough cost to build a detached garage (such as 24*24). And how long would it take? I want it just simple with basic function. Thanks in advance!...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post October 27, 2016
What to do?

The contractor want to put a lien on our house. The contractor threaten to pull out worker's if she did signed the change form. The contract was paid in full before adding charges for mistake made on ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 27, 2016
Cost for paint and flooring in 1378 sq ft home

I'm moving to a 4 bedroom 1378 sq.ft townhouse and would like to get an estimate to have all the walls painted, new carpeting on all 4 bedrooms upstairs and new laminate flooring in the living/dinin...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post October 27, 2016
Cathedral ceilings - sprayed foam

During my renos, I have completely removed the ceiling drywall (was actually two plus layers of ceiling in place) and we are going to be having cathedral ceiling (yes single story building)....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post October 27, 2016
How to 'encourage' contractor to finish work?

It looks like contractor lost interest in the project. I have 2 parts contract going on... all in writing and not paid for (just small deposit). Part 1 has been finished but there is a problem tha...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post October 25, 2016
Hickory or cherry flooring?

My hardwood floors are being sanded and repaired. Three other people have told me I have cherry floors. The company we hired insists it is a hickory floor and has filled the holes with hickory. It doesn't l...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post October 25, 2016
Sound proofing my apartment ceiling

I've read a 2014 post on here about sound proofing an apartment ceiling. It recommended to: Install "Resilient Channel" on existing ceiling; Install "Sonopan" sound deadening insulation ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 24, 2016
Cost for kitchen tile backsplash installation

We are looking for approximate estimates to re-tile our Kitchen backsplash, including: - ~30 sq feet, one outlet/switch combo to tile around - removal of old tile, appears to be plaster...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post October 24, 2016
Sliding glass door moves in locked position

I had a sliding glass door installed but when I pull on the door to check it is locked it moves about 2 inches. The guy who did it says all sliding doors require a degree of movement from the frame when it is l...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post October 24, 2016
How much would something like this cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post October 23, 2016
Cost of re-painting interior stairwell ?

I would like to know a decent/fair price or the competitive Rate or Cost of doing some light Sanding, then Repainting an Indoor/Interior (wooden) Stairwell (also involves removing rubbe...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post October 23, 2016
Cost on door way and stairs to basement

Looking for cost idea on putting door and stairs to basement through existing closet....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 22, 2016
Average cost to replace 4 windows in the back of my house

We are looking to replace 4 wood frame windows in the back of my townhouse with vinyl windows instead, as the wood frame windows are at least 20 years old. We live in Maple, On. The vinyl windows will b...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 25, 2016
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x