Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
How much would a garage like this cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 13, 2016
Front steps change from wood to concrete treads with open risers

I presently have a wood front staircase with seven steps 6 feet wide. There are four stringers supporting the steps and aluminum railings on each side. I want to update to exposed concrete precast treads, b...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 26, 2017
How do I get into designing and building homes?

I am in my early 20s with little experience in this industry. I have plans in my head to design and build homes. I own a successful roofing company and make enough money to get a sizeable loan to start building...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post November 8, 2016
Renovations not looking good

What should I do if my contractor has completed work that is not up to my standard? The painting is off in several areas, mudding was very visible still and left a lot of dust in the house. Advice?...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post February 1, 2017
Develop a legal suite in Edmonton

How much does it cost to develop a legal basement suite in Edmonton? Require 2 windows cut out, another furnace, sound proof the ceiling using quiet rock and sound channel, need bathroom plu...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post November 6, 2016
Bathroom Reno with Hallway linen closet

Looking at doing some renos in the New Year and trying to get an idea of cost. Bathroom reno: Bathroom size - 69 sq ft Re-tiling floor - 22 sq ft Removing wall tile and installing new walls (no...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post November 8, 2016
Cost of porch (20' x 7')

I am looking for an estimate of backyard porch with roof. Porch will be attached to the 2 story house on the long side. - 20' x 7' - foundation needed - hip roof preferred (lean to roof is sec...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post November 4, 2016
Cost for installing new floors & railing

We currently have laminate floors in our second floor. I'd like to have them replaced and make sure they're not squeaky. Roughly 465 sq ft. We also have an unsafe/loose railing above the stairs ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post November 7, 2016
Cost to remove lathe & plaster and install new drywall in a hallway?

We have walls along our upstairs to downstairs hallway that I would love to remove. It's in aVictorian house so is currently lathe & plaster. I would like to put new walls up afterwards. No paint necessa...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post November 4, 2016
Best way to get rid of centipedes

I'm getting centipedes in my basement. How can I effectively kill them, without stepping on them? Also, how can I prevent them from coming inside? Any help to eliminate these CREEPY cr...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post November 3, 2016
Average cost of a new front porch

Would like to know the average cost of adding a new porch to my 1100 sq ft bungalow....

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post November 3, 2016
Is there a commission in Ontario that regulates contractors?

I am doing some research and wondering if there is a commission or regulatory body that governs independent contractors. Appreciate any assistance. Thanks...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 3, 2016
Second story extension

We're thinking of putting an addition on our home (detached, 2 story in Toronto, Canada) and are wondering what a reasonable budget would be. Second story only, above existing first floo...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 2, 2016
Adjustment to a suite laundry area

Hi all, I am looking for a rough estimate to partition off a laundry space and cut a doorway in a wall so a suite has a private laundry and no access to the main house. I am attaching the original fl...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post November 2, 2016
Cost to upgrade a 2280 sq ft house to 200amp

Hi all, We are looking at purchasing a house that has a suite and is still on 100amp electric. What would our cost be (roughly) to upgrade? House is 2280sq ft in total (240 of that is...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post November 3, 2016
Basement framing inspection

So I just finished framing a basement for a customer and did not know they are going to have it inspected. I'm just wondering what they look for in an inspection. All my studs were 16OC, sill gasket...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post November 2, 2016
Price of a 2 storey rear addition

My house is detached on a 30x120 ft lot. I would like to build a 2 storey rear addition ~17x15 ft. It has a private driveway and side access that a small bobcat could access. The main floor will be a den and 2n...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 2, 2016
Weeping tile discharge pipe

My weeping tile discharges excess water from the basement foundation to my backyard. The yard slopes down near the last 4-5 feet of the pipe so it is only shallowly covered by the soil in that area. That area i...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 2, 2016
Hanging weight capacity of exterior brick wall?

I plan to install a cover/awning above my front entrance door. The cover/awning is readily made, shown on following link. http://www.palramapplications.com/palram/product/...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post November 2, 2016
For roofers: how to fix ridge vent?

My roofer will be fixing the ridge vent he installed. Slots he cut are too wide .(installation manual calls for 3/4" on each side only). He is talking about replacing/adding 3" plywoo...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post November 2, 2016
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x