Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Cost for replacing the shingles on a roof

How much to replace the shingles on a roof in Toronto, with a fairly steep slope?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 26, 2016
Cost to blueskin 80 ft of 8' basement wall, including weeping tile and sump?

What is the average cost to excavate a 7 ft. basement and apply blue skin membrain plus platon, new weeping tile and install a sump on 80 ft of basement wall? This project is in Saskatoon....

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post July 20, 2020
2nd storey addition and double garage cost and time frame?

My wife and I have come to the conclusion/realization that we will be purchasing a "fixer" as that is what we can afford in this market. However, the houses that we're looking at are in Mapl...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 27, 2016
Cost for pressure treated wood fence

How much does a 50 ln ft fence cost with 2 gates?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 26, 2016
Building two houses together

How much of a cost savings can be achieved by building two houses together as compared to building one first and then another later? The houses are going to be next to each other so there is definitely some...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 27, 2016
Price per square foot and time frame to build?

Hi there, We are currently looking at the idea of buying land and building. My wife and I would be splitting 2 acres with my cousin, and both my cousin and us would be building on the lot. My cousin...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 27, 2016
How long does it take for eavestrough cleaning

Hi, I would like to know how long it should take a contractor to clean eavestrough of a end unit townhouse (eavestrough around the garage and the roof). The reason I am asking is that we hired...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 25, 2016
Suggestions to fix wet walls

I have a two car garage and I turned one side into a guest house but the problem I'm having is the walls are very wet behind the dry wall and insulation. This happened before I tore it out and replaced it b...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 23, 2016
Cost for kitchen reno

Hi, I am looking into buying a house that will need a new kitchen. Everything else is completed in the house. It will need everything a kitchen needs. Looking for an approximate figure on what it would c...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post April 23, 2016
How to cover stucco railings to prevent leaking

The three buildings in the Strata are stuccoed including the exterior deck railings. The railings have rounded tops which could result in leakage as the decks are part of the roofing membrane, The parge coa...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 23, 2016
Best exterior paint for finish and durability in Calgary?

What is the best exterior paint for finish & durability in Calgary?? Stucco + wood trim + cedar shingles. What are the top 2 or 3 brands, and what brand(s) should be avoided? ...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post July 28, 2016
Cost for garage framing

What would be a fair price to frame my garage in my backyard? It's 20x25 2x4 construction with a 9/12 pitch. 2 10' dormers off either side. Full floor on attic loft....

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 21, 2016
Undercutting metal door frame for laminate flooring

I am installing laminate flooring but I need to know how to undercut the metal door frame to fit the laminate underneath. Home Depot in canada does not rent out jamb saws. Please help! Thank you!...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post April 21, 2016
Grading soil for water management alternative

Have you seen or used the solution in the photo attached. I need to regrade all around my home to help alleviate water from pooling down around my foundation. I saw this image and wondered why no one suggested...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post April 20, 2016
Water management under a wooden deck.

I have a wooden deck with only a crawl space under it built against the back of my home. The rain water falls through the wood and sits against my foundation. Any ideas how I might install a system that catches...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 22, 2016
KITEC / IPEX plumbing

Can you tell me if I need get this kitec piping replaced? ...

Raccoons have destroyed my lawn - looking for alternatives

Came home from overseas to my west-end Toronto semi-detached to discover the backyard lawn destroyed by raccoons. Enough is enough: I'm removing all the grass and I want to put in some kind of ground c...

What's the proper way to become a general contractor in Manitoba?

I am a 30 year old male in Winnipeg, Manitoba and looking for a career change. I have a good general knowledge of construction and reno's but do not have a ticket. What are the proper ways in gettin...

How deep do footings have to be to prevent frost heave?

I want to hold up my water tower with sonotubes and concrete post anchors. Is 4 foot of 6" wide tube per post sufficient? (Posts are 6x6s)....

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post April 22, 2016
Leaking shower drain in basement bathroom

I had a bathroom renovated last October in our basement because the shower drain was leaking which damaged the flooring. So the contractor we hired removed the old shower and reinstalled a new corner shower. ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 22, 2016
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x