Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
What is a good estimating software?

Hello, I've previously used Xactimate for renovations and insurance work but am not happy with their price point on their products at $1500.00 a year or $250 a month. Has anyone used other...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 4, 2016
Install hardwood or baseboard first?

Hi, I am renovating my house and installing new trim and hardwood. I have had some contractors who have come in to quote the installation say the baseboard should go in first with a gap underneath it to...

Number of Responses 17 Date of Last Post March 3, 2016
Cost to run water and drainage to garage in Edmonton?

How much does it cost to run water and drainage to a garage? (new construction). The garage is near Edmonton....

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 2, 2016
Can tiles be removed from under kitchen cabinets?

Hi, Is it possible to remove tiles from under kitchen cabinets?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 3, 2016
How many feet from sidewalk can garage be?

Can I build a garage in front of my bungalow located in East York and how many feet from the sidewalk should the it be? Also want to add a second floor (3 bdrms) with vinyl siding. What ballpark...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 2, 2016
How much would it cost to build a small bathroom?

I am turning an event space into a hair salon. There is no bathroom and I would need to build one in the space. I was wondering if this could be possible? There are water hookups because there is a bar and ...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 3, 2016
Can contractor put a lien on my house if I don't pay?

A couple days ago the owner of the contracting company came and asked his staff to pack up and leave the property. Now he sent the final bill and asked me to pay the bill. He is threatening if I don't pay h...

Number of Responses 16 Date of Last Post September 16, 2021
Steel post instead of 6x6 in exterior wall to carry LVL beam.

Hello, We live in a typical side split and want to remove the load bearing wall between the kitchen and living room on the ground floor. The house was built in the 60's and the exterior wall is fram...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post March 2, 2016
Cost for ensuite renovation

Hello, We have half bath/closet in our master that we want to convert to a full bath with a shower. It's just over 6ft wide and 7.5ft long. What kind of cost am I looking at for a project ...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post March 3, 2016
Can we build bathroom without permit and plans?

Can we build a new bathroom inside the bedroom adjacent to the existing bathroom without a permit and formal plans? No additional Sq. footage added to the house. It would be a straightforward job to do,...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post March 2, 2016
Use DriCore subfloor with radiant heat?

We have a project to replace our basement flooring which is carpet, and our main floor carpet with the new luxury vinyl planks. Both floors are concrete with radiant floor heating. Would you recommend a D...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 2, 2016
Cost to build a shower stall with glass wall/door stall?

I need to remove an old moldy shower stall and replace it with an 40x40 shower with ~ 50 sq ft tempered glass wall/door. Plus tiling installation of ~90 sq ft. Only looking for cost at this time. Than...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post February 29, 2016
How to become licensed and do I need to be?

So I just started my own renovation company and have been doing work. I am just wondering, do I need a license to do renovations as a contractor,? I know I need one for electrical, plumbing and ...

Number of Responses 13 Date of Last Post March 7, 2016
Best way to upgrade 2 electrical panels to one?

Hi, I am inquiring as to rewiring steps, best guage wire to use and upgrading 2 panels to 1. I am helping a friend in research as she is not computer literate. Removal of K&T will be done nex...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post March 3, 2016
Cost for basement window installation

How much would it be to cut a hole into my basement wall (above ground) and install window?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 27, 2016
Permit and value for sliding wall divider

We want to install sliding glass divided walls / panels to the dining area to convert it into a den. Will it require a permit? The dining room already has "pre-existing opened up walls" so w...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 27, 2016
Cost for gas heater in garage

Hello, I have a detached double car garage. I would like to install a gas heater there in the fall. I understand that prices may vary, but I would like to have an idea of cost. Let me know please. ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 6, 2016
Build a 4 seasons sunroom or solarium

We would like to build the above at the back of the house as follows: 1) We have 2 walls so we need 2 more, a floor and roof 2) We want it for 4 seasons so a floor which retains heat and gla...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 26, 2016
Approximate cost of a 16ft x 16ft freestanding deck

Hi there, I am just wondering what is the approximate cost of constructing a freestanding 16'x16' deck? The deck will be about 2-2.5ft above ground level, with stairs on both sides. I wo...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 7, 2016
Cost for dricore install

I have a 1000sq ft basement. What is the install cost for dricore these days? Katherine...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 25, 2016
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x