Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Cost for drywall and framing?

Hi, I am planning on building a 1250 sq ft 2 storey home form 4 x40 ft containers resting on piers. I need an idea of what it will cost for interior framing and drywall finish. So will be 4 units Each...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 25, 2016
How to get a federal general construction licence

I am living in Quebec. I have a Province license only. How could I get a federal construction license, so I could work out of the Province?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 25, 2016
Advice on starting my own roofing business

Hi guys, My name is Adrian and I plan to start my own roofing company. I worked with so many companies and I'm tired of being the number 2 guy. I feel that my former bosses aren't as hungry as I ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 29, 2016
Cost to replace carpet on stairs with vaneer step and riser?

What is the average cost to replace carpeted stairs with vaneer step and risers? Approximately 30 steps. Thanks...

Average price for roofing?

New to Calgary. Wondering about rates for sub work and for homeowners, for walkable roofs, new roofs. I'm seeing 54-75$ a sq and homeowners I've gathered around 250 a sq....

Number of Responses 23 Date of Last Post April 26, 2016
Cost of single car garage

How much is the Caledonia garage Vince Stewart built?...

Tile floor costs

My kitchen is 15x20 with a vinyl floor. How much would it cost approximately to remove vinyl and install ceramic tile?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 23, 2016
Basement insulation - tar paper stays or goes?

I recently pulled off old wood paneling in my basement, and would like to insulate it using rigid foam (silverboard or durofoam). Behind the panelling, there is tar paper, and 1x2" studs...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 13, 2017
What to do if contractor wants money before work is complete?

Work was done on our apt with no permit by a contractor but we did have a written contract. He did 3/4 of the work and now wants to be paid in full. He now wants all his money and won't finish. Says if ...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post March 3, 2016
Drywall ceiling or walls first?

I want to finish the basement in a new home and am not sure whether to drywall the ceiling or walls first....

Number of Responses 14 Date of Last Post March 9, 2016
Question about tax receipts

So I have a question about how the whole tax receipts work. Say I buy a table saw for $300 and the store taxes me $39. This tax of $39, is that what is deducted at the end of the year at tax tim...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post February 22, 2016
Cost for basement and first floor addition

Hello, We are looking for a rough estimate for the following project. We want to know if what we expect is actual or if we are way off in terms of cost. We live in Ottawa and would like to add a 20x...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post February 21, 2016
Cost to sand and paint wall?

Quote to finish sanding approx 2-3x6 areas of wall, prepare to paint and painting a room 15 x 16' room. Only looking for cost at this time....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 3, 2016
Most effective way to install temporary ceiling?

I have to install some sort of temporary ceiling at 6'2" in basement to pass inspection, then take it up to full height afterward. What is most cost effective way to do that and end up at 8 feet he...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 20, 2016
Cost to frame a cottage in Muskoka or Haliburton

Hi, We'd like to build a simple cottage and only need it framed so it's water tight ie windows, exterior cladding and roof installed. We prefer to see the framing and just paint it as we don&...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 17, 2016
Why exterior concrete foundation has no colour?

Why do builders leave the exterior concrete foundation bare? The least that they could do is match it's colour to the rest of the exterior walls. Haven't they invented any other concrete colours oth...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 18, 2016
Cost plus approach in todays down turn

Any of the better contractors with same credentials as us try any 100 "cost plus" approaches recently with quotes? And results. Keep getting people calling with half the budget as what's need...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 17, 2016
Cost for house demolition

Just wondering what the average cost is for demolish and removal of a 1100 sqf bungalow in Edmonton. I'm looking to subdivide the lot, sell one side, and build on the other side. Any idea what it co...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post December 31, 2018
Who can I hire to clean my bathroom vent?

A few days ago I had a company over to clean my furnace, ducts and registers, but the company owner said he doesn't do bathroom vent cleaning. My house has bird mites. Every time vent is on,...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 15, 2016
Cost to convert and build out garage?

What is the approx cost to convert garage (20 x 24) in a bungalow into living space (with basement), and build out garage?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 17, 2016
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x