Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Can you install hardwood floor on a sloped garage floor?

Hello, I'm wondering if it is possible/ feasible to install a hardwood floor on a sloped concrete garage floor. I know that the space needs to be heated, need a dricore subfloor, etc. ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 19, 2015
How much to build new home in Maple Ridge?

Does anyone know the approximate per square foot price to build a ~ 2000 square foot home in Maple Ridge? Just the construction of the home, no price for the land. I know it's very vague questi...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post May 12, 2016
How feasible is it to build a conventional addition to a log home?

I need an office and the existing space in our log home does not have much (any?) possibilities. I do not want a basement office. We have a detached, conventional build garage. I am wonde...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 17, 2015
What is additional cost to add a shower in basement plans?

I have an unfinished basement with roughed in toilet and sink, but don't see plumbing for shower/tub. What would the incremental cost be to dig-out the basement floor to add a shower? Is there...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post June 20, 2022
How much does it cost to remove a 13'x22' deck?

Old deck rotting below. Needs to be removed. It's 13 feet by 22 feet. Got a quote for $1700. Seems expensive. How much should it cost?...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post November 18, 2020
Can I redo bathroom floor without removing tub?

Our bathroom floor creeks and would like to focus on the creek areas to replace the floor. Then put ceramic tile down. Do not want to spend a lot, but want to eliminate the creeks. Can I redo the floor...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post March 16, 2015
How long to wait before finishing basement on new build?

Hi there, Is it true that you have to wait few months or years before finishing your basement once the house is just built? I heard that and they said it is because the house can have structure pro...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post November 30, 2015
Is an Alberta Gasfitter B Licence valid to pull permits in Saskatchewan?

Is an Alberta Gasfitter B Licence valid to pull permits in Saskatchewan? Thanks...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 12, 2015
Cost for basement bar and fireplace?

Bar and Fireplace additions to existing finished basement. How much would something like this cost?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post October 12, 2023
Suggestions for soundproofing for duplex party wall?

We have an issue with vibration type noises from a duplex neighbour. The sounds are primarily from impact noises from the other unit, that being walking, running up stairs, opening/closing draw...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 11, 2015
Why is frost growing on basement concrete wall behind the fiberglass/vapor barrier?

Too many different opinions, need a straight answer. Frost growing on my basement concrete wall behind the fiberglass/Vapor Barrier and the RIM Joist is saturated with moisture. Is it simply because I ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post April 3, 2015
Should I insulate both the basement walls and ceiling?

I live in a cold climate and have an unfinished basement in a new duplex. I'm in starting phases of finishing my basement and am uncertain if I should have the ceiling insulated. This would be more for so...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 27, 2015
Design phase, where to begin?

Hi, I would like some advice on how to get started planning and designing a renovation project on our semi-detached house in Toronto - depending on what we come up with and budget it could be just removi...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 10, 2015
Why is roof leaking?

Hi, The roof of my house has small leaking because of ice dam buildup in winter and early spring. There is no leaking during heavy rain in summer. A roofing company came twice to put membrance under shi...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 15, 2015
Cost to rewire & put in a breaker panel in an apartment?

I have one fuse for 2 bedrooms, living room & dining room, about 15 plugs. What is the cost to rewire and put in a breaker panel? Only looking for cost right now. Thanks....

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 4, 2015
Is it okay to put electrical wire across a telepost?

Good Morning Folks, I am starting the electrical roughin in my basement development and in order to meet the code requrements, I need to have a plug on a wall that the only way to get wire into that ...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post March 4, 2015
Does porch receptacle require weather proof cover?

I am buying a house. It has a receptacle in the ceiling of the porch, I assume to plug in xmas lights. It's well away from weather conditions. Does this receptacle require a weather proof cover?...

Number of Responses 12 Date of Last Post March 5, 2015
Can I weld my own beams for my home?

Can I weld my own beams for my own home? I was a certified CWB welder for many years. Or do I have to hire someone?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 8, 2015
Do I need to be a licensed plumber to work on my own house?

I'm trying to figure out an estimate for a house Reno and wonder if I have to figure in the cost of a licensed plumber....

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 4, 2015
What is CBC for framing bathroom sink wall, 2x4 or2x6?

I am framing the sink wall in a bathroom and am wondering if wall s/b 2x4 or 2x6 const. as per Canadian Building Code?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 3, 2015
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x