Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Cost to spray 1000 sq ft of exposed ceiling?

What is the average cost to spray 1000 sq ft of exposed ceiling in a small warehouse? Sherry Calgary...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 2, 2015
What is causing icicles?

Hi pros, I have enormous icicles being built outside my house. Any ideas what maybe causing it? Thanks for your responses. Olivia...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 4, 2015
Basement insulation concerns?

Want to put 1" 1/2 R-7.5 styrofoam on concrete walls, then tape up joints, then stud walls, then put R-20 batt insulation. Wondering if I'm overdoing it? I have builders insulati...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 3, 2015
What can a plumber charge for?

Who can I talk to about what plumbers are allowed to charge for, because I think I have been unfairly charged?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 1, 2015
What is the average cost for interior painting in BC?

Painting ceilings, base boards, doors, walls. Square footage is roughly 1725 feet, 2 coats and primer. What is average cost?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 29, 2017
Cost to create outdoor entrance to basement in Etobicoke?

I live in North Etobicoke and would like to create an outdoor entrance to my basement. What kind of cost and I looking at? I also assume that I will need permits, etc. I am assuming that a contractor...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 24, 2015
Cost to break down deck and build a concrete backyard?

My deck seems to have got termite infested and is taking a lot to maintain each year. (I got it with the house). I want to replace it with a concrete or interlocked backyard this spring. I would lik...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 24, 2015
Can a bathtub be severely damaged by sewer gas?

Can the enamel of the bathtub become black and rusty really badly if it was exposed to sewer gas? Or it probably was treated by chemicals or paint?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 23, 2015
Is it a good idea to install an electric tankless hot water heater?

I've been trying to research the possibility of replacing our soon to call it quits hot water tank for an electric tankless hot water heater. Several reasons this is appealing to us: - We live in ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 26, 2017
Where in Vancouver can I buy dark coloured ceiling tiles?

We are looking to change the white ceiling tiles in two large adjoining rooms (total 3400 square feet) and want to darken the ceiling to make the rooms seem cozier and more comfortable to meet in. We&#...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 21, 2015
What is the proper procedure for installing Tyvek in basement?

We are planning the following installation for our basement. I haven't been able to find info out what the recommended order is when using Dricore with Roxul. All the reno shows I've seen don't bo...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post October 15, 2022
Price for installing a standup shower, toilet and sink?

Limited space in a small basement. Needs a better outlay. Looking for cost at this time....

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 20, 2015
Cost for renovations on 100 year old house in Vancouver?

House in original condition, 100 years old, in Vancouver. Two stories (1400 sq.ft.) plus unfinished basement (700 sq.ft.). How much to renovate totally? Needs new plumbing...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 19, 2015
For kitchen countertops, quartz or granite?

For kitchen countertops, quartz or granite?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post February 23, 2015
Why is ice forming on the inside of new argon windows?

I had a contractor install NEW windows (on the upper storage area) while they were building the garage. They charged an extra $2,000 for "ventilation". The floors, ceiling, walls...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 21, 2015
What is the average cost per square foot for interior painting in Calgary?

Curious .. what is the average cost per square foot for interior painting in Calgary?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 20, 2019
How many square feet does 1 gallon of paint cover?

Trying to estimate how mush paint I need for 2 coats in my basement....

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post February 19, 2015
Cost for inground pool?

I am located in Toronto and am looking to know an approximate cost of installing an inground pool like the one in the picture. Would need new fencing also. Only looking for cost at this time. Thank you....

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post April 13, 2020
Cost to replace basement window with a door?

What's the price range to punch a hole through a basement wall where a window currently exists to replace it with a door opening? Also, what type of contractor would I contact to have it done...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 16, 2015
What type of contractor is best to evaluate sagging load bearing wall?

One can visually see from the two car garage where the supporting beams run through it sags and has started to compress one of the posts. Would like some feed back on what do. What type of contractor or bus...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post August 10, 2015
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x