Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Bamboo Flooring Costs

What is the typical cost per s/ft for bamboo flooring including material and installation? Are there different types of bamboo material? If so, what are they and the cost difference...thanks!...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 19, 2009
Good Renovator in Vancouver

Hi, I'm looking for a good contractor to renovate my kitchen, washroom and basement. Can someone recommend a good contractor in the Vancouver area? Thanks! ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post June 9, 2008
Basement ceiling height

If a basement is only about 6 ft high, is it possible to jack up the house and add height between the top of the foundation (cement) wall and the house sills? How would this be done, and wha...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post September 22, 2008
Refinishing oak staircase

Hello, need some advice. We just baught a 4 year old home that has oak staircase. The staircase is not stained, just has varnish on it. We want to strip the varnish, stain the stairs / ris...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 28, 2008
Capped water line sticking out from ground is a tripping hazard...is the City responsible for moving it?

I have a concern with a capped water line, sticking out of my front lawn and I have witnessed friends, family and strangers tripping over it when they have to walk along side of driveway on the grass......

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 30, 2008
To update an Electrical Panel...do u need a permit?

As I asked, do u need a permit to upgrade our Electrical Panel from Fuses to 100 or 200 amp? Is 100 amp efficient with a Bungalow household or should you pay more for 200amp? Who has to contact th...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post September 21, 2018
How much to Reglaze a bathtub?

Any contractors/companies in Burlington that reglaze bathtubs? How much is it, how long does it take to complete the job (when can u use the shower again?!) and do you also recaulk ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 24, 2008
Cost to convert Carport to a garage?

Just wanted to know approx. cost of building a garage that already has a roof (bungalow attached with carport). Is it cheaper to build a brick garage or one with 'siding'? I live in Burlin...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 7, 2011
This company is not recommended

We hired Viking Drywall to refinish our front door. We were negligent in that we did not get a signed contract, nor did we ask for references. After 3 days the job was not done and we had plywood nailed to ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post June 8, 2008
Grants for Homeowner Upgrades are available

Just wanted to let people know that if they are upgrading their windows, doors, heating, ventilation, insulation, hot water or other energy effcieincy related items, there are both prrov...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 2, 2008
How difficult would it be to replace tub and toilet?

I have been tired of searching for a company/contractor to do it for me, it seems such a small project is really not very interesting. now I am considering maybe I could do it myself?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post June 8, 2008
Heat Pump or Furnace or both?

I have a 25 year old furnace, noisy and inefficient. Baby on the way in the next 5 months and I can see the furnace needing to be on all day long to keep a large house warm all the time. I am thinking abo...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 1, 2009
Tearing down walls

Greetings. We just bought a semi detached, 2 story house that was built in 1912 here in Toronto. The main floor is divided by 2 plaster walls creating 3 rooms (living room, dining room, kitch...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 13, 2009
HVAC Permit

I just had a furnace installed to replace an old one. I wasnt aware that i needed a permit or else it could affect my insurance. I thought the permit was just a safe-guard and i trust the installer. But now...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 11, 2008
Opinions on Laminate flooring with hardwood

We just had our hardwood floors refinished and they look great. Now we would like to rip up the carpeting in our hall and put down some laminate flooring. Does anybody have an opinion on what type of laminate f...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post June 30, 2022
Installing new laminate/wood flooring

hello, i have a space of 650 sq ft. Existing is really old, old 1.5" wood flooring. Every single step you take - there are cracks and creaks. Some of the spots even seem like they cave in a bit...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 22, 2008
Beware : No Nonsense Renovations (Calgary)

I hope this helps someone before they make the same mistake we did. I am posting this as a warning to others, this company has ripped us off, in short, we put down a deposit, they delivered mate...

Number of Responses 15 Date of Last Post July 27, 2015
Installation or DIY?

I'm wondering how many of you do DIY or installation. Home Depot has installation services, but I'm thinking doing it myself would be nice, BUT if I mess up, I'm going to have a crooked ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 26, 2008
Easy DIY Bookshelves?

I want to build some new bookshelves for my apartment and don't want to spend the money or have the sterile look of Ikea ones. I have some reno experience but I'm not an expert by any means. Does anyone...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post August 10, 2008
hardwood flooring rep

We are looking for a new flooring rep to help establish new accounts with builders and contractors call 905-404-6304 or 905-439-4902...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post April 15, 2008
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x