Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Good Contractor, Bad contractor - you decide

I had a house re-done after the fire. For this job I hired Kingdom Constructions company. They seamed like very nice guys, definitely talking the talk. The job was done, with slight delay, but ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post December 15, 2008
Contractors left job unfinished-advice?

Firstly, we have not paid the contractor their balance. Not only are they not returning our emails or phone calls to schedule an appointment for repair work, they are also not asking for their balance ...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post December 28, 2015
Avoid the Following Contractors

Talon Contracting Arc Construction Bragg Creek Construction We found all three of these contractors throught this website and all three showed up for an initial meeting to discuss the projects (kitchen...

Number of Responses 13 Date of Last Post January 2, 2011
Renovations - How legal is an estimate?

I hired a General Contractor who turned out to be a real winner. I checked him out and he seemed ok. Checked with some references - no real problems. Signed an agreement with him which covered hourly labor...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post March 3, 2009
Tile setters

Hi there, I'm currently reviewing some estimates from a couple contractors I've spoken to. One of the tasks at hand is re-tiiling the kitchen floor & backsplash, as well as the bathroom ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 21, 2008
Authentic Roofing Surrey BC - STAY AWAY!

They screwed me. Check the BBB before hiring any company: http://mainlandbc.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report.aspx?site=164&bbb=0037&firm=1236086...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post October 9, 2008
basement stair head clearance

I need to know what the Alberta Bldg. code specs are for head clearance at the bottom of my basement stairs. ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 18, 2008
Cost of changing heating system from oil to electric

I am about to purchase a 2000 sq ft home, all one level. The space is basicallydivided into two areas. The one smaller area has electric heat already. However, the other area, is a large workshop sp...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post October 2, 2008
How far in advance to contact/secure general contractor?

We're looking to purchase an income property that will require quite a bit of renovations. We would like to hire a general contractor to do most of the work required. How far in advance should we be con...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post October 24, 2008
Removng load bearing wall (hallway) in a semi-detached

I am hoping to remove a hallway wall in my old semi to open up the first floor as is typically done with these semis. The joists span from one double brick wall to the other but I guess I shouldn't assume ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post September 25, 2008
NEED A GOOD CONTRACTOR - MONTREAL

IN THE WEST ISLAND, I HAVE AN EXTENSION TO DO AND NEED A CONTRACTOR THAT DOES NOT CANCEL APPTS. AT THE LAST MINUTE.. SO FAR 3 OF THEM CANCELLED AT THE LAST MINUTE - CAN ANYONE REFER ME TO ONE? T...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 28, 2009
Bowed Roof

My cottage roof is beginning to bow...I want to shore it up and open the attic for an extra bedroom...should I hire a structural engineer first or a general contractor? ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 5, 2008
Framer crew and general construction workers

I'm looking for experience peoples on this fields. At least 5 years experience no less, individual or crew are welcome. Please send me a line at john-luc@sympatico.ca Thank you, John-Luc...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 25, 2008
Semi Detached Renos

We just finished renovating our semi detached house and we had permits for all work done. We also spent alot of $$ doing things the right way. Our attached neighbour is now starting reno's themsel...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 17, 2008
Window purchase nightmere

My wife and I decided to buy windows this year to replace our old wooden ones. Originally very friendly. He was at our home for about 3 hours which is understood based on the size of the job. We had decided to ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 21, 2008
Drywall Crews or Contractor...

I need a good-reliable drywall company. With min 3 references (at least 2 of commercial or high rise residential). Insurance liablity - WSIB registrations. Thanks... T-Demir Stucco and ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 18, 2009
Customers - Please Space Out Your Appointments When Meeting With Contractors!!!

HandyCanadian is an excellent tool to both contractors as well as homeowners but we have encountered it's one downside several times. When you the cusomter is meeting with contractors, you must take car...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post July 20, 2008
Karmarker Construction

I was impressed with the number of responses once I posted the jobs I needed done. After receiving 4 quotes for a new kitchen floor and a partial bathroom reno, we selected Arind Karmarker. After two week...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post November 11, 2009
Read This Before Your Hire The 'Nice Guy' Contractor

A simple Basement reno, turns into a year of HECK. AJ McISAAC, of HEARTHFIREHOMES, is a liar and a cheat. if you want your home lien'd call him. a terrible job took almost a year, an...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post June 25, 2008
contractors always remember to get a signed contract

I have learned my lesson from this point on it is just as important for contractors to as the name implies get a signed contract I recently stepped into a great big pile of it and i got cut pretty deep so a wor...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post February 1, 2009
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x