Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Comments on Cosmopolitan Mechanical Services Inc.

i would like to hear from people who have done business with Cosmopolitan Mechanical Services Inc. especially with regards to new furnace installation. let me know what your experiences were. i am thinking of c...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 30, 2008
general laborers wanted

need some general laborers with experience in home reno. Located downtown toronto. start immediately. contact Barna@ 416 985 6198...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post April 10, 2008
Should I Get a New Furnace? Mine's 35 years old!

I have a 108 year old house with a 50 year old addition. The house was converted from oil to gas in 1975 and the current furnace is the furnace from that upgrade, as per the date on the inspection tag. I...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 20, 2008
Steel garage

I am thinking of adding a stainless steel garage on my property. I am in Greater Toronto and do not have a garage. Does anyone have a steel garage? Would love to hear your experience of building one; how...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post March 28, 2008
Casting for Home Renovation Show

CASTING FOR SAVE US FROM OUR HOUSE! Are you trapped in a house not suited to your ever-changing family? Are you pulling out your hair and fed up with your home? Let the team from Save Us...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post March 24, 2008
We Need Good Subcontractors - All Trades

Hi There, We are expanding our network of subcontractors who are skilled and experienced at their trade. MUST be reliable, experienced, fair priced and able to work unsupervised. WSIB and insurance...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 4, 2009
Hardi Panel Installer

We need an installer for cement siding. Please contact bcsinc@sympatico.ca. ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post March 11, 2008
Bathtub reglazing training?

Does anyone know of a training program for bathtub/sink/tile reglazing? I'm needing it for Northern Ontario area...ie. North Bay, ON. I know of a couple in the GTA but prefer to stay closer ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post March 8, 2008
Painting

I am wondering if most painters charge an hourly rate or by the square foot? I am starting out in this business and am running into some inconsistancies in terms of how I figure out my rates. Any suggestion...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 30, 2008
Adding 2nd electric meter

What is involved in adding a 2nd electric meter to a house in BC. I have a 1300 sq ft above ground basement suite in my home heated with electricity. My tenants leave the heat on high and the windows open!...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post April 20, 2008
Lifting a bungalow?

My husband and I have been talking about lifting our 1950's bungalow in order to add some space, and possibly a rental, without losing our yard space. We are not sure how to get started in finding ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 19, 2008
exhaust fan & range hood

We recently moved into an older home and want to install a bathroom exhaust & vented range hood but we don't know who to contact. The range is on an interior wall so would have to be vented through the roo...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 1, 2015
Looking for a good advice

Hi everyone. I'm posting this topic here with the hope that I'll find the best answer/advice. Our story: We are 2 guys working granite (finishing and instaling) for the past 7 years....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 29, 2008
Garage apartment & zoning question

I was wondering if it is feasible and/or legal to build a detached garage in South Vancouver with an apartment above it that can be rented out. I was trying to find zoning information online and came up wit...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 2, 2008
old garage- new garage

Have a falling down garage. Cement floor is cracked and cavernous and invites flooding in the spring. I want to have the old garage,which is a bit bigger than a single, pulled down and replaced with a ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 2, 2008
Painting

I am supplying my own paint, what are the going rates for interior painting (just labour). walls, ceiling, and trim in an average size room 15' x 20'...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 18, 2017
Thinking of an addition

I have a 105 yrs old home here in Barrie that has a useless sunroom addition on the back that I'd like to take down and replace with something more usable. Overall dimensions would be 20x24, single s...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 28, 2008
Looking for contractors to install decks and Fences

Hi, I am looking for contractors in New Market, Keswick, Bradford, Barrie, Orillia Midland Penetang, Muskoka, to install decks and fences. Contractors must be fully insured, bond...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post February 15, 2008
Renovating our rental bathroom

Hi we are renovating our small house that we rent out. We are doing the bathroom and the heating that was in there was a baseboard. We have heard that you are not allowed to put baseboards in bathrooms, is ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 22, 2008
roofing and siding

Hi, I am currently researching what we want on our house in terms of the outside. Roofing: Shingles? or Metal? Sides: siding? or stucco We really want quality and low ma...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post December 14, 2019
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x