Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Roofing

I'm going to renovate my house and I want to change a roofing slope. My house designer proposed 4/12 slope, but I want a 2/12 or a flat roof. As far as I know, a flat roof is much more expe...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 30, 2018
Vinly Plank Floor Installation is Bumpy

Hello, We had a contractor install Torly's Vinyl plank flooring throughout the house. They had great reviews on Homestars (winning best of awards for past 5 years) and they only do flooring a...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 30, 2018
My basement is flooding, whom should i call....

I have water in my basement. Not sure if I should be calling a contractor or a plumber or who would be the best to handle this issue?...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post May 29, 2018
Replacing Roof

Hi Everyone, I'm looking to get my roof redone in the near future and in the process of getting a couple of quotes and there seem to be some mixed opinion between contractors. I live in an older...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 28, 2018
If weeds are growing through the new asphalt laid down for a driveway, does the driveway have to be completely redone?

Currently in the middle of a long and stressful Reno of a house is Scarborough. Around November of 2017 the contractor hired some company to pave the driveway. At first glance I could tell of some deficiencies&...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 31, 2018
Basement Insulation Question

I had my basement finished about 4 years ago. At that point I elected to use Roxul mineral wool insulation over fiberglass due to its superior ability to resist mold/water etc. Overall I was very happy ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 30, 2018
Drywall finishing cost

in Alberta (Calgary), what is the cost now a days for someone to come mud tape sand a basement. Per square foot what are people charging? Any feed back is great. Thanks ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 28, 2018
Labor rates for different trade

What are the average current labor rates for different trades? Thanks in advance....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 27, 2018
Concrete Deck

We have a concrete deck that sits about 6 ft. high from the ground. It has tar paper attached underneath on bottom. Would this not cause the concrete to break down from moisture?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 24, 2018
Thickness of floor chip board and the joists

What would be the thickness of the chip board floor and the joists dimensions under it, in the house built in 1989 in Brampton? Thanks...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 24, 2018
Whole house water softener suggestions

We are a family of 5 living in a 3000 sq/ft home needing to replace our 12-year-old water softener and are looking for suggestions on the best units available. Based on my own research I'm currently...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 23, 2018
Cost to side house

How much would it cost approximately to put insulation and vinyl siding on 1100 square foot house? It would be going over asbestos siding. ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 23, 2018
Moving cost of Furnace and Tankless water heater to coldroom

Hi, Is it possible to move Forced air Natural GAS furnace as well as Tank less water heater to un-insulated Cold-room which is approx 25 feet from existing location? And how much it cost? Cold...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post May 23, 2018
How much should I expect to pay for a repair to my outside tap that froze over the winter

When I turned on the water to my exterior tap this past weekend water leaked from the tap and possibly from the exterior pipe. There were no leaks in the house. Approximately how much should I expect to pay fo...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 23, 2018
Contractor Disappeared

We recently had to have our bathroom reno'd due to water leaking. We were in a rush because I was on bed rest with twins due any day and this is the only bathroom in a house with 6 kids and 2 adults. We fou...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post May 29, 2018
Making outdoor wooden steps slip-proof

I've got a few steps outdoors leading to my basement and I have been looking for a way to make them properly slip-proof. Being in BC, it rains constantly and algae growth is a nightmare to constantly...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 22, 2018
Basement wall insulation

I have read information on this topic but its confusing to me. In my case, this is a brand new build and foundation cement was poured last October and is now May. There is black water-proofing membrane on...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 23, 2018
Honeycombing on concrete slab

I got a concrete slab poured for a garage with an 8” curb. There is quite a bit of honey combing on the exterior of the slab. Is this normal?...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post May 21, 2018
Patio material

Which is better for a patio in Calgary flagstone or stamped concrete? What would be the cost for each I have about 42sq/m?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 20, 2018
Is it possible to rejuvenate an old deck that has not been treated as we are renting property?

Deck has not be attended to since we moved here 5 years ago. Looks the worst for wear but overall, not in bad shape except for looking very gray from weather and few boards looking a bit rotten and 1 corner...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post June 3, 2018
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x