Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
How much should my Master Bathroom Renovation Cost?

The bathroom is approximately 81 square feet. I need the following work done: Demolition and removal of: tub, shower, toilet, double vanity, tile flooring, drywall. Move plumb...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post March 4, 2018
I found mold in the basement while demolishing walls,what do I do now

We were demolishing original panelling in basement and found mold on drywall, does insurance cover it or are we on our own ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 4, 2018
Cost of business vs. wasted time

Hello, This question is out to my fellow contractors. I have kept track of the stats and have actually done some research and worked out an alarming ratio. I am worried about the burden of "tire k...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post March 5, 2018
Extension in back - East York bungalow

Hi, We are looking to build an extension to our existing bungalow in East York. There are currently 2 bedrooms in the back, and we'd like to extend it out approximately 12 feet outwards and 25 ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 9, 2019
New house build HST charged by contractor Ontario

Building a new house how is HST charge by contractor? Materials ordered already have HST does this mean you only pay HST on labour?If subtrades quote already includes HST on materials and labour does th...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 2, 2018
Kitchen drain

I'm having trouble unclogging my kitchen drain ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 2, 2018
Tips for expanding business?

Hey there so I'm a self employed renovator and have been working by myself with the odd helper under the table and business is pretty good! However I want to expand and get the big jobs so I can hire a ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 1, 2018
Glass bath door installation problem

I recently purchased a house, and wanted to install glass frameless bath doors in the bathroom. The problem I have is, a quarter of the window in that bathroom goes into the tub area which would pose a ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 12, 2018
Frosted glass or tempered glass for sliding window door?

There is a door in my dinning room which opens to my garden. I'm planning to replace that door with a sliding garden door. I don't want too much sunlight to enter the room. I just want the right amount ...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post February 28, 2018
Asphalt Paving

When is the best time of year to repair or lay an asphalt driveway at a residential site? How early should you make an appointment to get on the schedule of the contractor? Estimate of cost?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 28, 2018
Framing cold cellar in Ontario

Hi, I'm intending to insulate my cold cellar. Do I need to use pressure treated wood for my base plate? Also can I use "all purpose" and/or "construction" screws for framin...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 27, 2018
Basement tile subfloor dillema

Hi guys, I am in the process of finishing my basement and have become really confused about what I need to do for the bathroom subfloor. I live in Montreal Canada and we built our house 7 years ago. T...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post March 1, 2018
Asbestos in Popcorn ceiling

I live in Ontario and I have a house built in 1990/1991. Is there any chance the popcorn ceilings in my house would contain asbestos? I was thinking of getting it removed, but I am not sure whethe...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post July 22, 2019
Basement questions

I finish in my basement Electrical, HVAC, and insulation. Should I call for insulation inspection before I put drywall on it? Thanks...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post February 26, 2018
Want a finished basement but might have water problem through foundation

I would like to finish my basement and I am getting mixed advice on what to do about water that is currently seeping through my poured foundation in a few spots when it rains heavy. The most I get is a small pu...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 26, 2018
Problem with Contractor - 2 year invoice

I'm having a problem with my contractor. He sent me an invoice 2 years after work was completed for $66000. He says we owe 12% commision on his work. I signed a basic contract agreeing to this bu...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 27, 2018
Cost for basement framing?

How much to frame a basement - labor only?...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post February 24, 2018
Basement apartment question, legalizing

I have a 1962 bungalow in the City of Pickering. I am considering legalizing the home as a two unit. I have a site survey out for a 200a service. The basement living space will be less than main floor area. I w...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post June 7, 2021
24x30 post frame 2 car garage costs

Hello, We are interested in having a 24 x 30 post frame 2 car garage built, our property has no water issues and is an excellent candidate for this style of construction. We have recently re-sided a...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 22, 2018
How much would it cost to renovate a bathroom?

Approximately 40 sq ft. - remove and replace old tub and surround tiles - remove and replace floor tiles - remove and replace vanity (counter and sink) - remove, insulate and replace drywall &#...

Number of Responses 17 Date of Last Post April 3, 2019
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x