Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Toss mattress and bedframe in a room with a mold wall?

There is no obvious mold on a mattress and bed frame that were in a bedroom, flooded after a pipe burst (water level maybe just an inch or two). However, two weeks later, there is black mold...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post October 9, 2017
Pony panel

Do you isolate the neutral bar from the ground in a pony panel in a detached garage?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post October 2, 2017
How far my fence has to be away from the curb?

I m in Ottawa and my house is at the corner lot. I am building a fence on the left side my house that is 10 feet away from the curb to allow visibility of the traffic. I did some research and the city regulat...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post October 9, 2017
When should I request quotes for exterior work for next year?

I have 3 outdoor projects: (1) replace a section of fencing; (2) new deck (has a below grade area); and (3) remove a concrete pad and the remainder of a pool wall (most o...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post October 7, 2017
What could be cause of wood basement wetness on outer wall?

We have a ranch style home with a wood basement. 3 years ago we did have water go down an outer wall from our sump pump when the hose got loose while we were gone on vacation. We had replaced baseboards, ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 1, 2017
Where is the water coming from?

We recently lost a buyer for our house because the home inspector determined our crawlspace cement walls were "saturated" with water. 80% was the reading he gave. There are salt lines along the c...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 29, 2017
Cost for addition to the rear of my bilevel house

I would like to know the cost for constructing two evels above grade on piles (without a basement) and attaching to the rear if my house. Dimensions I expect are: 24 by 16 feet lower level 24...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 29, 2017
Mold on interior foundation wall of basement in sealed off storage area

As per the title, I have found mold on the wall that was hidden by fibreglass insulation without a vapour barrier and then shelving that was fastened to the studs. It's a storage area under the stair...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 28, 2017
What is best way to jacking up foundation of cabin?

Hello I was wondering about the best way to level up a cabin that i just bought the foundation is just 10x10 posts. The cabin is sunk down on the back and front. Someone told me that he had to jack it up a few ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 28, 2017
Cost to install pad and electrical for hot tub

I am looking to install a hot tub in existing courtyard deck. The deck is 22 x18. The deck boards sit on 2x4s laying on concrete. I don't know how thick the concrete is or if it's level enough for hot ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 27, 2017
Wood rotten on top of the basement sill

Dear Experts, Recently I found out in my basement, behind the insulation, that there was rotten wood on top of the basement sill(or rim joist, quite not sure though). Upon further i...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 28, 2017
What are charge out rates for corrogated metal cladding panels and hardie board installation with smart trim?

What are charge out rates for corrogated metal cladding panels and hardie board installation with smart trim? Looking for a general example and located in Sk, Canada. Sub contractor rates on a commercia...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post September 27, 2017
Securing sub floor with staples before hardwood

Local contractor just laid down the subfloor on top of existing plywood and securing with staples. Now he went crazy with the staples probably one every few inches but are staples enough or should it be screwe...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post September 28, 2017
Distance for dryer vent placement

Is there a distance for dryer vent termination from main Hydro entry & Meter? I know 3 foot distance required from Gas Meter...unsure if same applies to Hydro....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 7, 2018
Can I build a 2000 sq ft single level for 400k in Ottawa?

Planning to build 2,000 sq ft single level home with basement in Ottawa. Garage 3 car Mid level finishes. 9' ceilings, 3 beds 2.5 baths. Not including lot. Lot is cleared and flat with 5-6' ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 11, 2017
How much would something like this cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post October 12, 2017
Contractor over contract time

My contractor is now 3 weeks over contract date for repairs to my home for a water damage insurance claim. The work that they have completed is poor to say the least. I'm spending way more money and are rep...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post September 25, 2017
Rescinding on contract

If I rescind on a contract, could I potentially lose my money I gave for supplies?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 22, 2017
Build entrance door to basement in Mississauga

My setback shows 1.21 meter and I believe the minimum requirement is 1.2 meter. I would like to build an entrance door to my basement. The door will connect to a stair inside the house that lead down to the bas...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 22, 2017
What are the best materials for roofing and siding?

I would like to find out what you would recommend for a roofing material (metal or rubber), would like to have something different then the regular asphalt shingles. Same for the siding I do not lik...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post September 21, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x