Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Exterior Walls Framing

What is better advised to use to frame exterior walls of unfinished basement: metal frame or treated wood?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post October 22, 2017
Charge backs

What are the rules regarding home builder charge backs, to a subcontractor, in Alberta?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post October 21, 2017
Cost for folding/hanging door installation

Hi, What would be the cost to install a folding door/ hanging door for my Den? The entrance is 3.1 ft wide and 7.10 ft height. Having a space constraint, I'm looking for folding door opt...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 22, 2017
Basement Ceiling

Hi, the fire marshal checked our basement and saw that the furnace has no proper shielding above it. Since our basement has no proper ceiling, it has no division from the top floor. (if you look up&...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post October 19, 2017
Electrical permit Ttansfer from one contractor to another

Is it possible to transfer a permit from one to another electrical contractor. The electrician we have is stalling-for 8 weeks now, without electrical in some rooms, receptacles tripping, switches ...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post October 23, 2017
Partially insulate the external walls, leave rest until rooms are defined

I've got a basement that is only half finished. I'd like to at least partially insulate the unfinished external walls with Roxul Insulated Sheathing directly on the walls, but want to take my time ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 19, 2017
Saving costs for restoration after flood

Hi all, We had a flood in our apartment several weeks ago, and since then we are fighting with insurance on several items. One of them is a potential replacement of kitchen cabinets. As part of t...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post September 1, 2018
Free home renovation software?

We are exploring the idea of opening up our attic with dormers, etc. In reading the helpful article from TrustedPros (found at https://trustedpros.ca/articles/general-contracting...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 22, 2017
Installing vinyl plank in basement

We had water damage in our basement and discovered previous owners had installed engineered hardwood directly onto concrete. We are now ripping out the hardwood and are considering vinyl plank flooring but I&#...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 18, 2017
What am I allowed to consider as substantial completion?

I'm currently in the process of wrapping up a renovation job with a team that's been in my house since July. Numerous tasks are slowly being tackled as I come down hard on expectations; however many job...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post October 19, 2017
Possible issues with dried ceiling after flood

Hello everyone, I wanted to get an unbiased professional opinion from someone. We had a quite extensive flood in our apartment and the entire ceiling (drywall ceiling) in about 40% of the ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 1, 2017
Botched Window installation, no contract and no deposit was payed!

If I hire a contractor "big company" to install lets say "windows and doors" and they botch the installs, they make a huge mess of the exterior cladding, can I hire someone else to fix i...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post October 22, 2017
Electric in-floor heating

Some years ago, we had a contractor do some bathroom renovations for us. The quality of the work was outstanding, but we're finding out that there was one hiccup... we're not getting heat from o...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post October 22, 2017
Cost for concrete flooring

I am purchasing a home and am thinking about finishing the main floor (800sq ft) in concrete. Just looking for a rough estimate to do it as well as any considerations that I may not thought of. Than...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post October 18, 2017
How to get rid of tools

I wont bore you with details, but here's a very brief summary: I hired a contractor to do a job that he estimated would take a day or two. After a laundry list of excuses and weeks later, it'...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 19, 2017
Cost to have a new storm door installed

I can purchase the door but don’t know how to install it. Approx how much would it cost to install the storm door in Elie Mb. Also does this worker need to come and measure and/or look at the door frame fir...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 16, 2017
Questions on building a cedar outdoor shed as office studio

I am looking to build a home office - shed studio outside - with electrical, insulation etc. The size is 8x12. I have attached the idea of the project. My questions are: How long do you think it...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post October 19, 2017
Unfinished Construction - need advice about the 10% holdback

Hello! I am writing to get some advice about how to handle a situation with our home renovation contractor. His work started in May and should have been completed by the end of July (when HE went on va...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post October 17, 2017
Sump pit mold

I sealed my sump pit (with pump in) with a custom Lexan lid and silicon caulking to reduce radon gas in my basement. Because most of the weeping tile water collects not in the sump pit, but a drain ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 16, 2017
Old milk paint on plaster causing problems?

I'm moving into a house built in the early 20th century. According to the previous owners, the majority of the house has plaster walls painted with old milk paint. They say the paint is to blame for any...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post October 17, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x