Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Estimate on a new roof

Estimate on a new roof. Bungalow house, 24' x 38', with covered veranda 6' deep x (Approx) 3/4 of width of house....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 15, 2017
What it would cost to install front door and retractable screen door?

Looking for a quote on what it would cost to install two doors: Single Entry Door - Slab Only as we already have the cut out glass. Inswing, Width 33.75", Height 79". This is to replace t...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post October 14, 2017
How much will it take to reconstruct a 2 storey brick cottage in Montreal?

How much will it take to reconstruct a new 2 storey all brick cottage in Montreal?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 13, 2017
Cost to renovate small bathroom

What would it cost to pay someone to gut a 4 by 8 foot bathroom built in 1958 to have it up to code on a small budget. I dont think they had mold and mildew resistant chip rock back then....

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post October 17, 2017
New fireplace insert in condo

Looking for approximate costs for framing, cladding and finishing as well as removal costs. Existing fireplace is flush to floor, new fireplace will require framing to raise it approximately 8" - ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 12, 2017
Is it possible to make walkout finished unit in our basement?

We would like to make a walkout finished unit in our basement. It is a single home.The unfinished basement has 3 large windows and no walkout door. We are not sure if it is possible or not. We would like some...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post October 13, 2017
What do drywall sub contractors get paid per sq foot to install drywall?

Recently started installing drywall for a subcontractor. On hourly with the 2 year goal of going on my own. How much are sub contractors making per sq ft (income before overhead) for hanging board?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 12, 2017
Cost to move laundry room to main floor?

What is the cost to move laundry room to main floor?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 20, 2017
Figuring out yards of crush

Hi All, Planning on a rink in the backyard this summer and have checked the high and low points, going to need to bring in some crush to bring a section of the yard up on the low corner. here are som...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post October 9, 2017
Do I need permit for electrical DIY?

Do I need a permit to update the switches and outlets in my home? Will be doing it myself to avoid my insurance?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post November 23, 2017
Cost to make 2 separate 1bdrm Units, in basement

Basement has - Separate entrance. - 1 window - wooden floors - laundry room -1100-1200 Sq.ft Looking for estimate for basement. 1. to make 2 separate 1bdrm units, kitchens, washrooms, sh...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 8, 2017
Cost for addition over double garage

We are considering building out over our double garage (master bed and bath) and adding an addition at the back on the main floor for a family room. We'd like to get a rough idea of costing to se...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post October 11, 2017
Architect fee structure

Hello, I have a question regarding architects for a home renovation. I would like to build a master bed/bath over an existing main floor/basement extension. On the main floor I would like to bui...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post October 8, 2017
CO replacement

Hello, Wondering if someone could help please. My old detector is end of life - I bought a replacement one that was confirmed to a be a suitable replacement model. The problem is the old one simply has 4...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 6, 2017
Can tyvik material be used to cover bat insulation under the floor?

Bats installed under the flooring of a cabin with unheated open sided crawl space. Can a tyvik type material be used to cover this area and help hold the bats? Then close in under floor with a plywood to gi...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 7, 2018
Cost for new fence

I would like to get an price estimate to replace the basic privacy fence at the back of my yard. 5 foot planks alternating sides with one foot lattice on top. 60 feet long....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post October 9, 2017
Proper tuck tape procedure of partially insulated basement wall

My basement from 2008 has partial plastic covered red fibre insulated walls. None of the joints are taped, nor taped at the top but partial black tape on bottom to cement wall. How should this be taped of...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 13, 2017
Toss mattress and bedframe in a room with a mold wall?

There is no obvious mold on a mattress and bed frame that were in a bedroom, flooded after a pipe burst (water level maybe just an inch or two). However, two weeks later, there is black mold...

Pony panel

Do you isolate the neutral bar from the ground in a pony panel in a detached garage?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post October 2, 2017
How far my fence has to be away from the curb?

I m in Ottawa and my house is at the corner lot. I am building a fence on the left side my house that is 10 feet away from the curb to allow visibility of the traffic. I did some research and the city regulat...

Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x