Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
24'x24' deck over carport replacement vs. rehab

We have been told that one of the supporting columns under our 24'x24' deck is rotten and needs to be replaced and the railings are also falling apart and aren't to code. Would it be possible to ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 4, 2017
Cost to install tile in GTA?

We plan to reno our 20 years old kitchen. We have decided to install new tile for the kitchen and hallway to the power room. It is about 750 sq ft. What is labour cost to remove old tile and install new one?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 5, 2017
Cost to rebuild my fence?

My backyard fence needs replacing - approximately 110ft x 6ft - pressure treated. Only looking for cost right now. Thank you....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 4, 2017
Watermark on exterior wall. What could be the cause?

This watermark has appeared near my kitchen vent's exterior. It is between the kitchen and the master bedroom on the second floor. However, there is no water pipe around the area of the water mark, ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 3, 2017
Cost to replace roof vent and insulated duct work

What would cost be to replace the roof vent from a bathroom exhaust fan and also replace the insulated duct work in the attic?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 3, 2017
Best way to put metal frame for drywall on sloped ceiling

Disposition: 1 1/2 storey, upper level (sloped ceiling): 2x4 rims, 16in apart I want to extend 2x4 rims by 2" with metal frame. What is my best option: a) put fram...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 4, 2017
What does it cost to install, labor only, per sq. ft. Shake vinyl siding?

I recently did an addition on my home and had the contractor install "Grayne" shake siding. He wants to charge me an additional 40 hrs. on top of what he has already charged me in our contract. I'...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 2, 2017
What kind of window treatments should I get on bow windows?

I have bow windows in my family room. I have no idea what type of window treatments to use. I need help!...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 2, 2017
What is the cost for new siding and windows on my house?

The house is 3000 square feet with generous trim and corner pieces. See pictures. Old siding will need to be removed. I plan to have blown-in insulation done before new siding. 23 windows - 17 horizontal ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 1, 2017
Framing on coreslab

Framing walls and roof of a house with coreslab floors. Has anybody done this and can help me with some info on how to price it?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 1, 2017
Pex in fresh air return

I want to run a water line to my fridge. Can I run pex inside fresh air return?...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 31, 2017
Basement insulation

My unfinished basement has floor to ceiling wrapped insulation installed by builder. We've recently had the basement framed so we can drywall and finish. Before we start drywall, do we need to add batt ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 30, 2017
Cost to redo kitchen

Have water damaged floor that is being replaced by insurance. Thought it would be a good time to replace cupboards and counters. Have a 11x16ft kitchen. Would like to remove cupboard headers (drywall) a...

Required sizes for basement bedroom window in Ontario

According to OBC what are the min required sizes for basement bedroom window and can you explain with a picture? Thanks...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post October 19, 2017
Landscaping near your foundation

I have a home built in 1900 that sits about 10 feet away from the neighboring house. The side "yard" this creates is completely shaded and mostly grows weeds. I would like to dig out the weeds, lay ...

8x20 deck rough cost

We are planing to build 8x20 duradek, having privacy glass on both sides full depth 8'. Front to be a full 20' wide stairs (5 in total and covered too) with the picket railing. It will look ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 29, 2017
Basement Extension

We are looking to add square footage to our basement by extending to the back of the house. It's about 5ft deep and 25ft wide. The 1st level of our deck is 7ft deep. We would then expand the width of the ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post March 28, 2017
Changing kitchen island shape

I am wondering if it is possible, and how much it would cost, to reconfigure our kitchen island using the existing cabinets. We would like to keep the 2 door cabinets, add one extra pull out cabinet...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 29, 2017
Cost for 160 ft of fencing

Cost for wood fence installation. 80ft each side. Plus the old one need to be ripped down and discarded. What is a go average price for the labour and materials?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 28, 2017
Waterproofing a leaking foundation

How much will it cost to dig out a foundation down to the footings and install waterproofing membrane and other waterproofing materials. The length is between 10 and 15 metres. It would need to be refilled w...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 28, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x