Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Cost of kitchen in finished basement

How much would it cost to add a kitchen sink, electric plugs for oven and fridge and cabinets in finished basement suite?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 17, 2017
Pros and cons to having an extension built on pillars

Hi - I'm doing some research. We're planning a 9 x 21' extension on the back of the house (the house is 21' wide). We haven't decided yet if it will be on pillars or with a crawlspac...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post March 21, 2017
Cost of backyard fence

What is the average price to build a property line fence which is 110 feet long with only fence boards? One one side with lattice and caps and posts every 6 feet....

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 19, 2017
Enclosing an outdoor space that already has a roof

Hi! I live in a house in Scarborough where I would like to enclose one of my existing carports with a wall of windows and make it part of my heated, indoor space. The existing carport is under the m...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 16, 2017
How much would something like this cost?

Vanity made as pic. Quartz countertop with two sinks....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 16, 2017
Efflorescence on poured concrete wall

We are thinking about finishing our basement. The house was built in 1991 with a poured concrete foundation. We have never had water issues but there are some small areas that show efflorescence on the walls....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 16, 2017
How do you determine the surface area of exposed foundation from a building plan?

How do you determine the surface area (square footage) of exposed foundation (above the ground) from a building or site plan?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 14, 2017
Cost of 2 storey addition and remodelling in Toronto

Our family lives in a 2 storey 1200 sq. foot home in Toronto. Our lot is 2880 square feet (20 feet wide x 120 feet deep.) The home was built in 1914 and has 6 foot ceilings in the basement. We...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 14, 2017
Contract work or do it ourselves?

We moved into our home and installed beautiful maple hardwood floors. The stairs have the original steps, no stain which are oak. The rails are the original metal. We want to replace the post, rails,...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post March 15, 2017
Starting home renovation business in Ontario

I am planning to start a Home renovation business from a scratch. I am not a professional person but have some clue about the building maintenance. My question is if I give my project/contract to third part...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 14, 2017
Pump comes on but won't shut off pressure

Pump comes on but won't shut off pressure up to 40psi. I changed the points brand new box, seems like the water won't go in the preserizzed tank. Any advice?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post March 13, 2017
Home improvement ideas - getting started

We have lots of ideas for renovating our home but unsure of the feasibility of some of them. We have not undertaken a large renovation before and unsure where to start with the initial planning (as well as ...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 14, 2017
Cost of 29x44 addition

We are looking now to add a double garage with a bedroom behind it at our house in Caledon. What is the typical cost per square foot for a typical attached garage? What is the typical cost per squar...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 14, 2017
Basement renovation: replace wall panels with drywall and probably redoing the electrical work

We want to remove the old wall panels in the basement and replace them with drywall. We also know that every single outlet in the basement is wired wrong (we checked with a circuit tester). We do use th...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post March 14, 2017
When are permits required?

Just wondering when permits are required if I'm doing a bathroom renovation or kitchen or basement? From what I know you don't need a permit unless structural changes are made and electricians pull ...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post March 14, 2017
Fixing mesh tape cracking

Hello, Recently I mudded and taped my bedroom with mesh tape however did not use a setting compound which in hindsight I should have used, anyways I am having a couple joints show hairline cracks on ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 9, 2017
Brick/Concrete stair case on sloped side of home

We are currently in the process of renovation our basement into a 2 bedroom apartment. We want to build a staircase on one side of our home. The property is sloped. In addition to that we would like some sort o...

Tree removal and 30ft fence installed

I need to know where a good starting point is. I had a tree fall and take down my fence. I would like the tree removed with roots and a 6ft-30ft fence installed. Would like to start calling some contractors ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 9, 2017
Paint or reinstall kitchen cabinets

I want to change my kitchen cabinets from natural oak to some shade of white. Should I paint or reinstall the doors and front drawers? How much is the cost?...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post March 6, 2019
Extra costs outside of contracted quote

My contractor recently approached me stating that his accountant has let him know that he set up my quote wrong, and that he is "working for a loss". We signed a contract to do a job at a certain p...

Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x