Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
windows film

Hello, I am trying to find the best solution for adding a film or any other product on windows to have privacy. I know that I can put films but what I want complete transparency from inside which blo...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 28, 2017
Drywall quote

How do I quote a drywall job from hanging taping and mudding? Is it by sqft of house or sqft of drywall sheets?...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 27, 2017
Cost to complete in-slab hot water heating in basement

My 2100' unfinished basement slab is tubed for hot water heating. 7 loops in the slab plus a bath and front vestibule on the main floor above. Presently using a rental tankless water heater. What would b...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post March 26, 2017
Rough cost of framing and roofing for a second story addition

I'm considering a second story addition on an 1100 sqft Bungalow in Calgary. What would be the rough cost of framing/roof structure and ply/weatherproofing for this project? Project would inc...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 26, 2017
Cost of Knocking down a wall for kitchen Reno (pics included)

I have some family who is looking at purchasing a property, and they were looking at one in particular that has a wall that divides the kitchen/living/area. They like the house but would like to ...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post March 27, 2017
Incorrect work by contractor

We hired a contractor to replace our kitchen counter with a new granite counter. We made sure to confirm the type of edge we wanted (bevelled) and the type of sink we wanted (60/40) along wi...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 25, 2017
Rough cost of completely renovating a house in GTA

Hi, I am looking to completely renovate the interior of my 4000 sq ft house (its 2 storeys and about 20 years old). At this time, I am looking to get a rough estimate so that I can determine...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 24, 2017
Changing an extension & moving kitchen - questions

I have an old bungalow (approx 1000 sq ft) that already has an extension. The extension currently holds the kitchen and bathroom. There are patio doors leading out of the kitchen to the back yard. I ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 24, 2017
Labour and materials costs to replace linoleum for 100 square feet floor

I have a rectangular shape floor sized about 100 square feet. It has linoleum on it. It needs to be replaced with new linoleum. On average: What needs to be done? How much time is needed to co...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post December 19, 2019
basement concete condensation

Hello Experts, I was checking the insulation in my basement for the 1 year Tarion, and in the area where there is a floor crack, I noticed small amount of condensation on the plastic bag. After c...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 24, 2017
Best way to get a quote for engineer to do designs?

I am looking to get quotes on the design step of three large projects about to be undertaken by our organization. We have 87 townhouses and a small apartment building with 30 units. The three projects are fe...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 23, 2017
Removal and installation of flooring

Hi, How much would it cost me to: Flooring Remove exiting flooring to original plywood subfloor (approximately 365SF) Remove existing quarter round to be replaced with new shoe mounding ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 24, 2017
New deck

I am considering having a PT deck installed. Approximately 22' x 28'. It would be attached to house and about two feet off the ground with two steps going the length of the 22' side of the deck. How...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post June 26, 2018
Removal of load bearing wall

Can any contractors remove load-bearings walls (ie: General Contractors) if there are Engineer drawings available?...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 22, 2017
What am I looking to budget for 120ft wooden, 80 ft chain link fencing?

Hi Pros, Finally decided to just put the question out myself, as have been trying to research the question as this summer I want to put in the following: - 6 feet high wooden treated fence ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 22, 2017
Batt insulation and vapour barrier installtionon a large scale costs

Hi, I'm wondering what the going rate would be to insulate and polly 27,000 sqf in an industrial building, with batt insulation? Structural details: 32'walls with vaulted ceiling...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 22, 2017
How much would something like this cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 22, 2017
Affordable extension on a semi-detached home in Toronto

Hi, I'm looking to build a cost-effective extension to my 2-bedroom semi home to maximize livable space. According to the City's zoning map, I am located at: R (d0.6) (x7...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 21, 2017
1600 sqf deck

What will be the cost of stain my new 1100sqf deck? Two levels, four steps, and around 500sqf wall budget will be ok. Only looking for cost for now. ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 29, 2017
I got a brand new deck last year

I got a brand new deck last year, and want to know how long I can go before painting it for the first time. Some peoples say a year, others around 5 years. I need a professional opinion, please....

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post April 19, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x