Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Estimate to build a 24' X 24' detached garage in Sudbury, ON

Complete package; - drawings - footings and foundation - 2" X 6" construction - sliding - shingles - insulation and drywall - wired with lights and plugs - garage door - man door - two windo...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 1, 2018
Trouble with Exterior Stucco/Styrofoam.

We have a home built in 1959 and with a 2003 two-storey addition. The exterior wall of the addition seems to be a styrofoam/suttco combination. It needs some repairs. AND we are having trouble with mice ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post April 30, 2018
Convert half bath to 3/4 bath

Hello, I have a rather large half bath in my basement I'd like to convert to a 3/4 bath for guests. The room is 63" x 93". I'd also like to move the door from where it is to directly...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 2, 2018
Insulating upstairs bedroom

I have a storie 1 1/2 house built in 1912 bedroom upstairs Ive insulated the walls and roof line on the 9/12 pitch roof line inside 24 on center and put insulated batting with R 20 than 6 ml poly can i...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post April 30, 2018
Type of electrical cables in Condominiums

My Electrician is saying that it is mandatory requirement to use a BX cable in a condominium. Since the ceiling is concrete we need to run the cable on the wall(external) against the periphery of the ce...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post November 1, 2019
Cost of a small bathroom renovation

Hi, I would like to collect some honest opinions on how much would it cost to renovate a small 25 square foot bathroom - standing shower, toilet and sink. I have good knowledge of building materials....

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post May 4, 2018
What would you charge for a fence?

Customer wants a fence done and is getting a company to do all 6x6 post, but wants a quote on the rest of fencing material and labour, trying to gage a price as I usually do holes. Fence is 6'6 high...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 30, 2018
Insulation Drill & Fill - what's the story?

Hi everyone, thanks for any insght here. Just bought my first house - a bungalow in Hamilton. It's been pretty cold in this house since I moved in in Feb. Thermostat shows 68 degrees or whatever I se...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post April 27, 2018
Cost for getting a Natural Gas Line installed to the back of the house

How much would it costs approx to get a Natural Gas line installed to the back of my house (for a natural gas BBQ)? We capped an existing line that used to run to a gas dryer that we recently change...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post April 27, 2018
Move A/C Unit

How much would it cost to move my air condition unit which is located on the side of the house to the backyard - approximately 25 feet? Unit is about 3x3 in Brampton. Thanks...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post April 27, 2018
Water tables

What exactly are the water tables and and how deep are they beside the foundation? Is it something to be worried if contractor is digging 40 inches deep egress window well and there is 4-5 inches water stan...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post April 25, 2018
Permit for egress window

I know that there is permit required for basement egress window. What if I get the window done according to Ontario Building Codes, without the permit and inspector comes? Will I be paying penalty even ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 26, 2018
Sewer smells

I’ve been noticing sewer smells in the house for a few years. They are intermittent (from no smell, slight odour to strong) at various times. 2 bathrooms were recently completely gutted and renova...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 26, 2018
Bedroom windows in a renovation project

Renovating a commercial property built in 2002 in BC. Renovating it to a residential property. Do the bedroom windows have to be able to open to meet meet code? Currently has large windows which do not open...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post May 14, 2018
How much would it cost to rebrick the inside of an outdoor fireplace?

The bricks on the inside of fireplace are crumbling. Need them replaced How much would this cost and how long would it take?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 25, 2018
Price per sq ft for steel roof

Average cost to install steel roof, new construction....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 24, 2018
Concrete cost

Cost for concrete walkway and patio -first walkway 3 feet by 25 feet 4 inches thick, sod removed last year, any additional dirt could be left onsit. -second walkway, 5 feet wide by 38 feet lon...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 24, 2018
Is a variance required to add a bedroom over a non-conforming garage?

My 60 y.o. single-family house in Halifax Nova Scotia has an attached garage that is 2' away from the side property line, so inside of the 6' side-yard setback. I'm considering adding a bedroom ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 24, 2018
First time buyer considering fixer uppers because of cost

I am on mental health disability in my mid-30s and am considering investing time and money into a home that is very cheap because it is in need of a lot of work, simply because it is my best shot at ever ev...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post April 23, 2018
Yearly (every year) repair of the asphalt driveway?

Last summer 2017, I had used a driveway asphalt repair product to repair the broken edges of the driveway. Today the same areas had badly cracked. No one would walk or drive on the edges of the driveway....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post April 23, 2018
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x