Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Leak in standup shower

Hello, I have a leak in the corner of some of my tiles in my shower stall. I have water tested for weeks and finally have found the spot. Can I fix this with either a re grout of the area or using some ...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post April 20, 2018
Are general contractors required to be licensed in ontario?

Are general contractors required to be licensed themselves for small renovation projects if they hire licensed sub contractors to perform standard trade requirements such as electrical, plumbing, HVAC&#...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post April 16, 2018
wash and sealing a deck

cost of washing and sealing a deck per square/foot the deck 24x18 ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 16, 2018
3/4" hot water supply to tub

Would running a 3/4" line directly from the hot water tank fill a bath tub quicker than a 1/2" line. ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 14, 2018
Bathroom waterproofing

We are replacing the tub in an old house with a shower stall. We are tiling this area and will be installing cement board around the shower. We also are tiling around the sink alcove. Do we need to install ceme...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 14, 2018
Would adding a 2x4 stud to 2x3 knee wall equivalent to 2x6 required?

Instead of adding a 2x6 inserted between the existing 2x3 studs in knee wall would adding a 2x4 knee wall next to the 2x3 pass inspection?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post April 14, 2018
Square foot price for drywall and finishing

I would like to know the best square foot price for the gta for 1)drywall boarding 2)taping and sanding? including materials such as corner beads, plaster, and tape....

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post June 27, 2020
Cost for staining a patio and paint doors and windows

I want to stain 2 patios they will need to be washing, cleaning , sanding then staining. The measurements: the first patio 220,16 square/foot the second patio 600,82 square/foot...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 8, 2018
What is good for stamped concrete - fiber mesh or 6" wire mesh?

Trying to understand what is good for my new project - walk way & patio with stamped concrete. One contractor quote me with 6" wire mesh & other Fiber mesh. Is it really a deciding factor to choose a work&#...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 13, 2018
How much does it cost to paint an apartment?

I have a 1700 sqft with 3 bedrooms lounge, dinning room, 1 washroom and kitchen. I want to know roughly how much it would cost to paint?...

Number of Responses 15 Date of Last Post May 3, 2018
Storage room as a basement entrance

Is it possible or legal to use cold storage room in the basement as a basement entrance? Can we add the basement entryway there?...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post April 13, 2018
Cost for basement job

I am looking for quotes for my two bedroom basement apartment. And a kitchen, Someone gave me a quote for 17,5000, for labour only. Is this reasonable?...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post April 12, 2018
Contractor Can't Complete Job but Wants More Money

Had issues with current contractor and had to end work with him. Found a great replacement here on Trusted Pro's, but still have issues with old contractor. Purchased a condo and wanted it renovated. ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post April 11, 2018
Driveway asphalt repair

Last summer 2017, I had used a driveway asphalt repair product to repair the broken edge of the driveway. Today the same area had badly cracked. No one would walk or drive on the edges of the driveway. ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 11, 2018
Door Closer

Please look at the photos. I believe that knob #1 is the door speed Knob #2 is for the latch speed Knob #3 is ?? (don't know) I have adjusted the latch knob and the door had clo...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post April 13, 2018
Cost for new pressure treated fencing

Just budgeting for new pressure treated fencing between neighbours for upcoming home reno. Would appreciate quick quote. Approx 80 lf at 6ft height. Thanks...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 19, 2018
False alarm CO/Smoke detectors

When a "smoke and/or CO" detector makes a "false" alarm, how would you know that it is a false alarm? I am trying to figure this one out? Especially for CO detectors. How wo...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 9, 2018
Cost to convert attic to living space

Has anyone converted their bungalow's attic space to living space? We have a "A" style roof framing. Typically, do you know how much such conversions cost ~900sqft with basic finishes in Mis...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 9, 2018
Copper coloured wire from a gas furnace that leads to no where in basement

Please look at the pictures. The left end of the horizontal wire is fixed to a gas furnace and the right end leads to a knob? The horizontal wire is so unsightly. What is the purpose of this wire...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post April 9, 2018
Gas to Electric water heater

4 pictures After Reliance had switched my water heater from a gas water heater to an electric water heater, I am left with an unsightly black plastic pipe. Look at the pipe which I had pasted yellow stic...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 13, 2018
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x