Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Feedback and advice on vertical foundation crack

Hi all, Would appreciate your feedback and advice regarding this vertical crack in the foundation wall we are looking at buying. Thanks in advance....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 29, 2017
Popcorn ceilings

I have 3 bedrooms with popcorn ceilings. Which is easier and more cost effective? To remove and refinish or to cover with wood? Thanks...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 1, 2017
Cost of addition over double garage, in Cambridge, Ontario?

Cost of addition over double garage; 3 bedrooms and an open living space / bonus room? I am looking for a ballpark quote; the attached garage was built in the late 1980's. We are looking at buying ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 26, 2017
Cost for installing plywood

What would be a fair price per sq/ft for installing 3/4" plywood in a 20x24 attached garage?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 29, 2017
Is there an average cost per square foot or anything to judge my quotes for concrete on?

General question. Looking to get a bunch of concrete work done. Is there a average cost per square foot for concrete work?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post October 25, 2017
How do I learn a trade?

I'd like to learn a trade now at 43 years of age. Everyone tells me to go for it. Easier said than done. All employers want people with experience. I don't doubt that networking is important but I reall...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post October 25, 2017
Why I can't get a lush green lawn and get rid of weeds?

Why is it that I can't get a lush green lawn and get rid of weeds? Also my plants are always wilting and ugly even though I water them well (I think). And I cannot get grass to grow in shaded ar...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post October 24, 2017
How do I insulate indoor pool house?

What and how do I insulate the walls and ceiling of a large indoor pool house in Ontario to prevent mould. ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post October 28, 2017
Sound from the furnace room, I can hear from the vent, Is this sound ok?

From the vent of my washroom, after every 15-20 seconds there is a sound for one second. The sound is like the sound of drill machine from the distance. Yesterday the furnace installer came and said that ig...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post January 11, 2018
How do I get an outside opinion regarding the quality of the work?

My contractor keeps using the term industry standard. How do I make sure the work conforms to industry standards?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 9, 2017
What is my recourse when neighbor of semi detached home encroached on my roof?

My neighbor of a semi detached home redid his roof, I did not. When they redid his roof they removed 2 -4' of shingled on my side and added a separator on my roof. This was done without my knowledge or ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post October 24, 2017
Does the Furnace Warranty automatically cancelled before its time?

I had new American Standard furnace installed in 2012. There is 10 years warranty on parts. There was a problem with the furnace and I called the installer. He came and changed the igniter. But one thing that h...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post January 11, 2018
Cracks on foundation wall of the house (Exterior)

On the exterior wall of the house, on the foundation wall I noticed some cracks. Does that mean these cracks are going all the way down to the the foundation? Should I fill with something? The crack...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 24, 2017
Electrical rough-in estimate

I would to get a rough estimate for labour only to rough-in and install 14 interior & under cabinet lights in a finished kitchen on its own switch. And also 9 retrofit recessed lights in a finished kitchen?...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post October 24, 2017
Condensation hose blockage

In summer time, in my furnace room the condensation hose clogs 2-3 times. I have to disconnect and blow it. Once it was so bad that I had to use air compressor to push the clog. Please suggest and solut...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post October 24, 2017
AC unit wire and pipes buried under concrete sidewalk

The AC thick black wire and the brass pipes that come out of exterior wall of the house are buried under the concrete sidewalk and goes to AC unit. Is this illegal? Can this cause any damage to pipes and wi...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post October 23, 2017
Cost for removing carpet and replacing it by laminate flooring?

Hello, Just bought a bachelor unit Downtown Toronto. How much would it cost to do the following: - remove carpet in the living area (approx. 250 sq ft) - remove ceramic tiles in the corrid...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post December 5, 2017
Exterior Walls Framing

What is better advised to use to frame exterior walls of unfinished basement: metal frame or treated wood?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post October 22, 2017
Charge backs

What are the rules regarding home builder charge backs, to a subcontractor, in Alberta?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post October 21, 2017
Cost for folding/hanging door installation

Hi, What would be the cost to install a folding door/ hanging door for my Den? The entrance is 3.1 ft wide and 7.10 ft height. Having a space constraint, I'm looking for folding door opt...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 22, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x