Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Exposed aggregate retardant left on for 1.5 to two days

Please help. Contractor was supposed to do exposed aggregate. Poured cement, put on retardant, left it on in hot sun for a good day then tried to wash it off. Spent ten hours straight the first day a...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post September 25, 2023
Water infiltration in the basement

I have a leak in my basement (possibly the entrance and stairs area) and it happened when it was raining very hard a few days ago. I removed the drywalls and the floor of that area and noticed the leak ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post June 28, 2017
Central AC for new build

How much does a centralized AC cost for a 1686 sq. ft new build house, basement is still unfinished? ...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post June 27, 2017
Water damage and drywall

I had a flood in our finished basement with over 3" of water. The insurance contractor has removed the laminate flooring and baseboards. Should they also remove the drywall from behind the baseboards?...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post June 28, 2017
Bathroom shower tile

Roughly, how much would it cost and how many hours would it take to have drywall and new tile installed around a standard size tub (3 walls: from top of tub to ceiling, walls; 2 walls @3ft wide&...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post July 1, 2017
Beam size

Replacing basement splitting 6x6 wood beam, supported on fondation walls with 3 steel jack posts cemented in floor. Span of posts are 7', length of existing beam is 31'. Would like to replace wi...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post June 27, 2017
Cost estimate for deck

I would like a 12x24 deck with 4 stairs down and a hinged gate at the top of the stairs. The bottom should be closed with lattuce and balisters 4 inches appart. Posts are to be dug and cemented. What would t...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 27, 2017
Drywalling code

We are closing off a 4'x8' door way between two commercial office spaces as we have sold two of our three units. It is an inside wall. Do we have to use 5/8 dry wall or is 1/2 okay? Is the...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post June 28, 2017
Handyman rate

What is your rate? Is it the same for an emergency?...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post June 29, 2017
How much would something like this cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post June 28, 2017
What recommendations do you have to achieve adequate substrate for tiling stairs?

Tiling stair treads: currently the treads are 3/4 inch plywood. What recommendations do you have to achieve adequate substrate?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post June 26, 2017
New asphalt with tire impressions overnight

I had a asphalt driveway installed a week ago. When I park on it overnight there are tire impressions. I believe that the roller wasnt heavy enough. Can I re roll it myself with a heavier roller or Is it too la...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post June 24, 2017
What can you do with 100000?

I am looking for Options, prices in today market cannot buy you anything with $100.000 mortgage but I am looking to get a better idea. I am looking to build a small house 2 bedroom can I do something wi...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post June 26, 2017
Spacing of studs

I rent in calif a studio- legally how far are the studs in the wall suppose to be to the next stud of a 8x12 room. Also where my stove is i have no hood vent for the heat to go out, is that legal or up to b...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 24, 2017
Law about sidewalk touching the wall

Because my contractor is clueless, who doesn't even know the importance of expansion joint between house wall and concrete sidewalk that they just build. My question is - if it's against the bui...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post June 22, 2017
How much would something like this cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post June 23, 2017
Poor quality and workmanship

I've hired a contractor to put up a fence. The quality and workmanship is terrible and I'm not very happy with it. No contract was drawn up, a quote was agreed on via text. I have not paid him anyth...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 22, 2017
Patio Cover

I am looking to get a 20x20 patio cover with an asphalt shingle gable roof built in my backyard. The cover would not have any electrical, ligting or skylights.I have a quote for $25,000 which seems ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post June 22, 2017
Neighbour not allowing access for property fence

Does anyone have advice for dealing with a grumpy neighbour who wont let you onto their property to construct a property fence or make other changes where there is no other access? I would appreciate if ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 21, 2017
Drywall over rigid foam

I have a house, 1930ish with wooden slat walls under drywall type material. The previous homeowner put wood panelling over everything. I would like to put 1 inch rigid foam with drywall overtop. Is the rigi...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 21, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x