Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
How do I build a partition wall underneath an I-beam?

We are developing the basement and plan to build a partition wall directly underneath a steel i-beam. How do I attach the top plate to the steel beam to build the wall? I've attached a picture showing...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post June 15, 2017
Improper installation of electric radiant heating mat

I recently had my bathroom renovated and heated flooring was part of the agreement, though it was not included in the original estimate. On the final day of work I spoke to my contractor who was just leavin...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 14, 2017
Wrought iron railings regulations on indoor stairway to loft

Hello, Can you tell me where I can find information regarding regulations for wrought iron railings for an indoor stairway going up to a loft? Can you tell me if the scroll type railings in the pic...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post June 13, 2017
Apartment window guard rail

How low can 5th floor window sill be before requiring a guard rail in Ontario?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post June 13, 2017
What's wrong with my air conditioner?

Motor is new. Does my unit just need coolant? I cleaned the filter, and I also purchased new insulating foam (I've yet to change it as you can see.) We have very limited cool air, espe...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 21, 2017
Efflorescence

Hello, I am not sure if it is a big issue, but I noticed a lot of white marks on the bricks of the house. What is strange is that all the houses around me don't seem to have the same problem. Som...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 12, 2017
Unfinished defective work, I paid 90% already and contractor not coming back

I hired a contractor to make my side walks, patio and porch. First of all they did not make expansion joints. And they just left the job unfinished not coming back. Its been four days. Everyday they text me...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post June 15, 2017
New wood fence with accessibility / tree root problems

It's June and I live in the central Toronto area and am getting quotes for a 100 ft wood privacy fence; 6 foot tall with 4x4 posts. The issue is my backyard has some access issues (3ft entry at certain...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post June 14, 2017
Budgeting for painting costs

What would be per sq. ft cost of painting wall and ceiling and panel doors in an existing residential unit?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post June 13, 2017
Cost for painting 8 interior doors

What would be cost per door? They are brown color and going grey....

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post June 13, 2017
Expansion joint cutting

I hired a contractor to do the concrete work on my sidewalks and patio. The job is 90% done BUT he did not make expansion joint gaps between house wall and the new concrete he poured. He is so unprofessiona...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 11, 2017
Front addition to house ~115sq ft

Hello, We live in Mississauga and have a detached sidesplit. I would like to do an addition to the front of the house only on the main level without a basement addition. No plumbing is needed and to ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post June 9, 2017
No expansion joint

I am stuck with a careless contractor. He is making my concrete sidewalks patio and porch. Yesterday they were pouring concrete. I noticed that they are not putting expansion joints. I asked them and then they ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 9, 2017
Caulking a window 6 story

I have been asked to caulking the exterior window on the six floor on an apt building. I have never quoted anything this high or that used a zoom boom so I'm just curious what others would charge for this&#...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 10, 2017
Require approximate estimate for a 2 level home in Delta, BC

I want to build a house with 2 levels around 2800 sq. feet and a basement of 1300 sq. feet. I want a mid premeium, not very basic but not very expensive also. How much will it cost me? Only looking f...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post June 9, 2017
Rate pr sq foot for baseboards and casing

Need to know what a fair rate for baseboards and window trim would be for a 923 sq ft basement and 5 prehing doors and 3 double bifold doors....

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post June 9, 2017
Leaky laundry faucet to washer

How much to fix or change a leaky laundry water turn on faucet to washer?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post June 8, 2017
3 x new external doors and framing/fitting

Have a 1947 house and need a new front door, back door and garage side door fitting. All will probably need the framework either repairing or replacing. Any idea on pricing? I'll probably only be do...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post June 8, 2017
Vinyl siding

If you are applying vinyl siding over stucco, do you need to use furring strips?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 9, 2017
Timber frame or post and beam home build on hatzic lake

I'm looking to build a post and beam or timber frame 1200-1500 sq. ft home on vacant land on property on Hatzic lake. Any ideas on what the finished costs per sq. ft would be? I see a lot of "shell&...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post June 7, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x