Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Cost to finish small room

Hi, I want to convert an unfinished 8x8 storage room in my basement to a office area. I need drywall, ceiling and floor(engineered hardwood) installation. I also want to replace the stand...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 25, 2017
Completing exterior stucco/siding?

Why does it always seem that builders finish the stucco, brick and siding at the end of the project? Can the stucco/siding/brick be completed once the windows and roof are installed? What ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 23, 2017
What is the cost of land clearing, and to make a nice back yard with parking?

I have lot's of garbage and want to clear it. Could you give me a good advice for making a parking or wooden deck? I don't have garage and drive way. That's the reason to make this....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 22, 2017
Carpentry license vs. no license?

So I have recently started a renovation business and I do not have a carpenters license but from what I have found and read I don't need one. I have insurance business number and HST number. I'm just cu...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 22, 2017
To whiten normal 9 white/very light grey concrete slabs/walkway

How do I clean and whiten the concrete in front of the front door and on the walkway? Over the years, I could see the foot marks and I would like to retain the original luster. But I have to be ca...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 22, 2017
Bi Level Stucco house change to two tone divided by brown wooden divider

I was wondering on a bi level house that was built in 1982 and has stucco. There is a wooden divider between the lower level and the upper level dark brown. The stucco is all cream coloured. I need some patc...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 21, 2017
Do I have to insulate my basement ceiling by Ontario code?

I'm renovating my basement in the Town of Aurora, Ontario. Do I have to insulate the ceiling in between the joists?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 22, 2017
Cost for installing a hidden beam in a bungalow ceiling

I was wondering what the cost would be to install a hidden beam in the ceiling of my raised bungalow. The existing wall is off set from the steal beam below by two feet with full width engineered floor jois...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 26, 2017
Best stain for wood siding?

I built a barn and let the pine siding dry for a year. Now it's time to stain but I don't know what to use. I've always used oil stain on my cedar sided house but can't find anything good now th...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post May 21, 2017
Cost to knock out one or two walls

We are in a rented house in Calgary, I'm guessing it was built in the 60's. The landlord commented about wanting to knock out a kitchen wall at some point in the future, and we think it's a...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 21, 2017
Construction licence

Hi there, My name is Yousif and I wanted to make sure that starting my own home renovations in ontario does it required a licence? Your advice is highly appreciated....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 21, 2017
Copper (or bronze) backsplash

I would like to install copper (or bronze) back splash. I like to have a change of material because there are too many ceramic tiles in my house. Please advise me if it is a good idea because of t...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 21, 2017
Blue light/flick on the electrical switches

To Switch Off I am aware that I have to unplug the electrical cord from say an electrical kettle (it could be any appliances) before I pull the 3 pin cord from the electrical switch on the wall. To ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 22, 2017
Choosing replacement windows and the right installers

We have a 20-year-old home with the original windows that are in desperate need of replacement, including the cladding/framing, but we're not sure how to proceed. With so much information online...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 19, 2017
What stain does your company use?

Hello, Have you found a stain out there that will hold up to the elements and not peel? They all promise that but I have yet to find one that holds up to the promise....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 20, 2017
Baseboard and trims

I was wondering what is a reasonable amount of baseboard with shoe mold installed in one day?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post June 29, 2017
Demolishing a bungalow to rebuild a semi-detach

Hello, I currently own a small bungalow house in Scarborough, Ontario. The property lot is pretty decent and not fully being used. I want to look into the option of demolishing the house and rebuild...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post July 6, 2017
Enclose a carport

I am wanting to enclose my single carport into a garage. What could someone expect to pay from start to finish approx.? I am looking for a starting point. Thanks...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 31, 2017
Increase the resale value of an 11 year old house

Which are the to 3 or so renovations/upgrades that I could adopt to increase the resale vale of the house? High payback %. - I do not have a back-splash - My basement is unfinished - My floorin...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 18, 2017
Eavestrough Vertical or L shape?

I had purchased a new house from a builder in 2006 (11 years ago). The eavestrough is a 90 degree straight pipe from the roof to the ground (no bends). Yet I had read that it is better for the ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 18, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x