Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
What is the size/coverage area of a proper backsplash?

My kitchen is L shaped. The double sinks and stove/range are perpendicular to one another. If I want to install a proper back splash, do I cover 100% of the area behind the double sinks and also...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 18, 2017
Cost of re-laying interlocking

How much should it cost to re-lay about 870 sq ft of interlocking (8"x4" pavers) around a swimming pool and a patio? The diving board needs to be removed as well, and the area repaved...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 24, 2017
Paint

What level of details do I have to ask the paint shop to provide if I want to buy the exact paint specification in the future. The manufacturers will always rename their products and it is very difficult ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 17, 2017
Where to buy a can of real smoke emitter to test fire & CO detectors

I live in Toronto and I cannot find a store which is able to sell a can of real smoke emitter to test my fire/CO detectors. What is the name of the product and the name of the manufacturer? Prefe...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 18, 2017
CFL LED bulbs

People have mentioned that there had been lawsuits made by CFL users in the USA. Is it safer to use the traditional LED bulbs (than the CFL bulbs)? I am more concerned on fire risk than anythi...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 17, 2017
Leaking Toilet and air vents on the floor in the upstairs bathroom

How do you do a test to ensure that the toilet tank does not leak water onto the floor? One day I had seen a thin layer of water on the floor, very close to the toilet. I did not see any water i...

Installing interlocking, limited access to backyard

I'm looking to install interlocking patio. Plan A: Access to backyard is narrow, with an AC installed in there. The space between side fence and AC is about 18 to 20 inches. Is it doable? ...

Electrical box

Is it legal and safe to cover up the switches and the cords in my basement with a wooden box-like panel i.e. erect a wooden box (with 2 front door openers) to shield the sight of the many switches and...

Flooring for a basement

It is safer to install ceramic tiles (and not laminated hardwood) in a basement? From flooding/moisture perspective. Thanks...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post October 2, 2017
Best flooring for a basement

It is safer to install ceramic tiles (and not laminated hardwood) in a basement? Will ceramic tiles cost more than laminated hardwood? Apart from ceramic tiles/laminated hardwood, ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post May 16, 2017
Cover up the electrical box?

Is it legal to cover up the switches and the cords with a wooden panel (box like) in my basement? I live in Ontario. I do not like to see the switches and I do not want my dog to ever touch it....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 17, 2017
(1/2" in height) thin bricks on the front lawn

Thin (1/2 " in height) bricks on the front lawn I have 36 pieces of thin bricks on the lawn which near to the front stairs of the house. I did not install them properly and they would always...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 16, 2017
Seal the transparent plastic sheet on the walls of the basement

Seal the transparent plastic sheet on the walls of the basement. The plastic sheets are used to affix the pink coloured insulation onthe 4 walls in the basement. I do not have the traditional red tape. I h...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 16, 2017
Rust stains on the lower exterior bricks of the house

How do I remove the rust stains on the lower exterior bricks of the house? I believe that the stains are quite embedded inside the cinder bricks and I cannot scratch and remove it easily. The rust spots...

Hardwood flooring transitions between rooms and hallway

We are starting to install hardwood upstairs in the bedrooms and hallway. I would like a piece of the hardwood flooring itself to act as a transition strip across each doorway. It would also have to be levell...

Pex vs copper plumbing for my home?

Which is best and why?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post September 8, 2019
Cost for basement framing and drywall

Look for a rough estimate of what framing and drywall would cost for a section of my basement. Area is 20ft by 30ft. No rooms just 4 walls and a door. Thanks, John...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post May 15, 2017
New foundation wall moisture inside

Hello, About a year ago I have had some work done to the corner of my house where a contractor removed the existing part of the foundation then built the corner with a new cinderblock foundation and pou...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 16, 2017
Should I fire my contractor (dry wall and painter)?

Hi, We've had a pretty bad experience with our dry wall and painting contractor. He comes across and a really decent guy but his work is dreadful. First red flag for me was when he told us he wa...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post June 20, 2017
Renovation warranties

What is the typical warranty involved in new additions where new roof framing and foundation are involved?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 14, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x