Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Is there a specific time period between roof maintenance?

Our office roof was done 3 years back in Toronto. We haven't had any issue with the roof but since it's been three years, now we are thinking if we should do a round of commercial roof maintenance....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 11, 2017
Concrete flooring

I have an older condo with tile flooring in the bathroom and kitchen and laminate flooring in the remaining bedroom, den, living and dining areas. The building is wood frame with concrete parkade. The c...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 11, 2017
Crack in foundation wall

I have a semi detached house and there is a crack in the foundation concrete wall between me and my neighbor. There has not been any leak coming out. Shall I worry about it? Makes sense since no water can ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 3, 2017
Renovation license

Hi there, What license do I need to start my own renovation business? I am 33 years old. I do all these things (drywall-taping-tex...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 10, 2017
Does this drywall quote seem right?

My wife and I just received a quote for drywall and it seems steep. Not just a little steep, but a lot. TO be fair, haven't had a drywaller in for the past 5 years so things may have changed a litt...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post May 10, 2017
Building a large hill

I am in the process of planning to build on a large hill in Dorest, Ontario. I will use conventional piers at the back but as the property sliopes toward the road and eventually slopes to a lake, I am p...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 10, 2017
How much does it cost to remove an above ground pool?

My hubby and I are house hunting and a lot of places we are looking at have pools which is a whole can of worms we don't want to get into. Roughly how much does it cost to remove an oval above ground po...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 10, 2017
Cost for addition of master bedroom

What would the approximate cost of a 15'x15' addition to a small bungalow to be used as a master bedroom (no plumbing necessary) in the Kitchener/Breslau area? Thanks!...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 11, 2017
Old code new code GFI

I sold my home and the building inpector stated that one of the plugs in kitchen needs to be a gfi. The problem I have is the plug is joined to another that I found in wall when doing back splash and does not h...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post May 14, 2017
Translation help

I'm an anglophone, whos about 60% bilingual and I just landed a job in a construction company. I often have to call contractors and communicate with them, but Im new to the industry and unfamili...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 9, 2017
Rough cost to remove and replace 6x6 cracked wood post in basement?

Our 6x6 post in the basement is cracked and there is sloping in the upper floors. The wall has 3 metal posts installed as well. However, maybe there may have been an additional post needed on the other si...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 9, 2017
Joints creak/thuds from hot water pipe

How can I stop joints from creaking due to hot water pipe going thru joints via drilled holes?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 8, 2017
Cost to remove drywall and replace with railing

I want to remove some drywall on the second floor of the house that acts as a safety rail beside the stairs coming up to the second floor. I was planning to use the ledge board it has installed on the top of th...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 7, 2017
Questions about buying a lot for a custom build

Hello! I'm in Guelph, have always loved the idea of a custom build, but don't have a massive budget. Have heard that a 50x150 building lot may come up in my older and saturated neighbourhood...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 8, 2017
Wood rot

Home inspection detected wood rot under a whirlpool bathtub and extensive tile floor that I can NOT remove. In the crawl space it is difficult to reach. Can I go through the exterior wall to repair this spot&...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 7, 2017
Kaycan vinyl siding

Has anyone used Kaycan vinyl siding and what is your opinion of it's quality? What Vinyl siding would you recommend above Kaycan? Thank you...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 7, 2017
Which type of contractor to contact for leaking balcony floor?

I have a small balcony attached to my 2nd floor bedroom that is leaking. The floor of the balcony has a small drain which runs down and across to the downspout. Beneath the balcony is my living room. I have ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 5, 2017
Cost for new home construction by the square foot in the Comox Valley

I would like to find out what I could expect to pay for new home construction by the square foot, from standard to high end for the Comox Valley as of 2017?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 5, 2017
Pre-hung door install by contractor

Hi, Had basement contractor install interior basement pre-hung doors yesterday but to save some cost, I said I'd be willing to install the trim/casement myself. I have 2 doors with large g...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 6, 2017
How much would something like this cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post May 14, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x